Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cherry Cheeks

ChasMike

It has been over 100 degrees for like 60 days in a row here, but hunting season is just around the corner and you guys know that I love to hunt so I am getting ready. As a matter of fact I reloading some ammo yesterday and went over to the 100 yard range that I have on my land across from my house. I have a bench and one of those metal folding chairs to set in. I don't wear shorts very often but I had on shorts yesterday and I was stupid enough to sit down in that metal chair before it dawned on me that I could fry an egg on that thing. To say the least I didn't do any shooting although I did shoot right back over to the house and try to get my wife to rub something on my burning butt. When I pulled my shorts down to show her she started laughing so hard I had to tend my cherry red checks and legs all by myself.

I don't know what it is but she seems to find it hilarious when I stump my toe, or trip and fall down.

Anyway I don't care, let her laugh, its nearly hunting season and she is the best hunting buddy I every had.

Later,

Mike

Mike,

I understand your plight completely. I have brand new, freshly loaded box of .303's that I'd like to put through my Enfield, but I just can't get excited about sitting out in the sweltering, damp heat and shooting. Heck, since completed, my 30-06 has been the range four times and the Swede twice. Both were showing signs of accuracy and needed work. But my winow unit is too heavy to drag around with me and the extension cord is too short!

I'm guessing we'll begin shooting in earnest 'bout mid-September?

Mike,

I'm guessing that your "cheeks" were about the color of your avitar?

I remember being out at the little public 100 yd range in Tallahasse about this time of year.

I think this actually may have helped my marksmanship everywhere else.

If you can stay focused on a sight picture with a constant stream of sweat flowing into your eyeballs while simultaneously being eating by mosquitos, then shooting anywhere else is (thankfully) a cool breeze.

Yesterday in Mosul it was 120 degrees in the shade, and there is not much shade.

ChasMike, I feel your pain (as our former prez used to say). But it weren't on my butt, it was on my hands.

I was welding on some pipe the other day and picked up, or tried to pick up, a piece of pipe to carry to where I was welding. I could not hold on to it, it was so hot. Of course I should have been wearing gloves, but those things are so hard to get the feel of things.

Have you considered padding the old metal chair? Hell, when it's that hot I ain't shooting. Now, early in the morning it's not bad. That dew on the grass sure feels good, and before long your shoes are as soaked as your shirt, and all you want to do is take a shower.

Ahhh, Texas.

fritz

Now with the exception of the Good Rev. You boys don't know what hat is.

Why in sunny san berdo the Hippy uses the garage as clothes dryer.

It gets so hot..how hot..so hot that the ants wear sunblock!!!!

Karl

Karl, Karl

If you read my post about a new Texan's diary he kept, you would see that everything here in Texas is bigger. If you don't live either here or in Death Valley (which we Texans can understand), you ain't seen nothin' yet.

There is an old Texas story about the devil trying to say that Hell has everything better than Texas. He showed all kinds of wonderful scenes, but the old Texan kept coming up with a better scene in Texas. Finally the devil showed a picture of his burning inferno, and asked, "Do you have anything like that in Texas?"

The old Texan leaned back and told the devil "no, but we got a fellow over in Houston that can put that thing out for you". He meant, of course, Red Adair. Have you read the book--Red Adair, an American Hero"?

BTW, we seem to have an awful lot of blowouts in the area lately. I attribute it to oil companies getting greedy at the present high price of oil and gas. They are rushing wells, and sometimes it backfires.

fritz

Karl,

I cannot speak to how hot it may get in So Cal, but I can tell you that it is awfully damned hot here. And humid too which compounds the heat and raises it from Ugh to Miserable. How's the humidity out in Callie? I've always been told that for the most part, the climate is really pretty nice out there.

Rev, You'll be back in LA soon enough man. Just hang in there!

The West Coast is dry as a bone, and wonderful!

Even in OR where it rains for half the year, the other half is a windy dust bowl.

I really miss walking down a trail and kicking up dust with every step - to me it feels clean.

It's too damp out here in NC - but you've gotta go where duty calls.