Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cowboys And Rottenstone

flaco

So I went to the local gun show today.

I hadn't been for 20 years, so I didn't expect much. It was lousy then, and it's much worse now.

Pretty much looked only for Mausers, although my budget is tapped. One table--only one--had a significant number of Mausers.

Guess I've been spoiled looking at the rifles on the internet.

Anyway, I found a small group of interesting rifles. Didn't recognize them right away, and made the unfortunate comment that the Swede was expensive.

At first glance, I thought it was a 38. It was a 94. For $500.

The vendor, a young looking guy, took offense. Who could blame him? Even if it was a legitimate $500 94. (I.e., bad shape.)

I guess it's only fair to admit that I wasn't really in my gun show togs. Actually, I was wearing a pink (PINK) polo, and madras shorts. I don't think I blended in very well with the rest of the guys.

One of whom I admired. I'm not certain that the Southeastern contingent knows that cowboys have a uniform: If you see a guy in Wranglers, a pressed button-down oxford cloth shirt, boots, and a nice straw hat, you can bet dollars for doughnuts it's a real cowboy.

And California may have lot of other types, but, gods bless us, we still have cowboys here.

Actually, I would have been happy to make some purchases. I'm looking for a big can of Rust Prevent, which I'm pretty convinced is a great product. I would have gone for a big bottle of Hoppes #9. Or patches.

Or--and this would have maxxed the card--neck sizing dies in 6.5x55, 7x57, or 7.65x54.

For a while I was convinced I would try partial full length sizing, but I've decided that neck sizing will be easier. I wouldn't be having that chambering problem with the once-fired 7.65s had I been neck sizing.

So I came home and spent some time cleaning up the newly blued parts. And mounting barrels to receivers.

Most recently, I've spent a couple of three hours making a mess with tung oil and rottenstone. Things are starting to look good. Or better.

Did you ever realize some folks just don't understand?

A photographer friend of mine from DC--Virginia, really, but he lives inside the Beltway--was in town yesterday. About the time he shows up, I've got the gloves on--is everyone using plastic gloves inside the cotton ones when they card?--and having my way with some degreased steel wool. Right about then, I am very pleased, as this is the last pass, and the parts look good.

My friend is mystified.

"Flaco" he says, "why aren't you photographing girls?" (In another life, I photographed a lot of beautiful girls, some of whom you can now see in ads for clothes like Abercrombie.)

How do you explain the satisfaction of seeing parts you've worked on for many, many hours come out of the boil with a blue so deep could could drown in it?

Later, we went downtown and took up a strategic position at a table at a sidewalk café. I know you guys all think your towns are full of beautiful women, but I am here to tell you, and if you care to visit, I'd be happy to prove it to you, that my beautiful town has per capita more beautiful young women than anywhere else in Western Christendom.

It helps that this is a university town, but... we just grow 'em good, too.

And that was sort of fun, but I kept thinking about putting barrels on rifles.

Or like today: The Aussie in shop behind my studio spent most of his day drinking beer, and watching motorcycle races on the tube. I really like motorcycles, and in my youth, came close to successfully killing myself on motorcycles on many occasions.

It was rainy Grand Prix racing from Donnington. Those guys have balls of steel. As much talent and courage as one could imagine.

"You should have watched the race," my Aussie friend said.

It was an accusation.

He didn't understand.

I wanted to get those barrels on those receivers.

I was on a mission.

flaco

Oh, and my friend from Virginia? Thinking of Tye, and some of the other Southern contributors, I commented he didn't seem to be caught up in the habit of fighting a now long-lost war.

"Every day," he said.

"People from Virginia don't go to Maryland, and folks from Maryland don't go to Virginia."

His family's from Richmond.

My spell-check doesn't like "rottenstone."

neck sizing dies in 6.5x55, 7x57, or 7.65x54.

falaco

Sir.

I learned this from the nice folk at Lee.

I was looking for a neck size die, and the fella told me to adjust the ball and the seating nut on my full size die until it just resized the neck.

You will need a hand full of brass to practice with and as a extra goodie you will no longer need to lube the case.

It worked very well.

Karl

Now, what town are you in? I was thinking Ft. Worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of your pictures. You ought to have them on something like Picturetrail.com, but I imagine the companies have the rights to the pictures.

Austin has a lot of pretty girls, but so many of them are liberals.

Rottenstone- I use it for my finishes in woodworking sometimes.

Stick to the net for those guns. I just got my 1899 Swede back from my brother. He had disassembled the bolt and couldn't put it back together. It has more scratches on the barrel and action than I remember. I bought it back from him out of pity for the rifle.

Sheesh-

Somehow z1r lifted one of my images and posted it.

It's a wrangler from a brochure I made for a local guest ranch.

All the rest of the images were color, but we put this one in as a duotone.

Sort of historic looking, and all.

Thanks, Z.

flaco

I love that image.

And Karl?

I'm a working freelance writer/photographer with two book contracts. In August I'm going to Michigan. It's great there.

Anyone know where the old Niedner shop was in Michigan?

Hell, a haircut would just reveal the obvious--she ain't got much in the area covered by the hair.

'tis always better to have to imagine what is there, than to see it!

fritz