Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mas 36 Santa Fe Sporter

bja105

I was given a "Golden State Arms, Santa Fe Model 1949", a sporterized Mas 36. The barel is 16", the stock has a cheekpiece, and better than average wood on the buttstock. None of the numbers match. It has an original stepped military barrel. The rear sight is a cheap plastic one, held on (barely) by a single screw.

I fired it this weekend, I bought 2 boxes of FNM 170G fmj. The first round, fired at arms length with shooting glasses and my chainsaw helmet(with face shield). The first two rounds looked OK, just a bit weird looking firing pin dent(in retrospect.)

Round three (fired from the shoulder, of course) pierced the primer, and sent some gas back to my face.

I stripped the bolt again, nothing glaring wrong, except the firing pin protrusion is obviously too much. The firing pin tip protrudes past the ring around the bolt face.

Why the extreme protrusion? I guess the mismatch could go as far as the striker. How to fix? O could grind down the firing pin tip. The tip looks replacable, like a Springfield. Are there parts out there for a MAS 36?

I haven't seen much about French sporters, anyone have one?

Guest uncle fritz

"I haven't seen much about French sporters, anyone have one?"

I didn'r know they existed, and I am part French. But I do have a complete Mas 36 up in the attic. That's a good place for it.

fritz

I was waiting for the round four report. I'm glad I didn't get it.

First thing to check is the shape of the firing pin - it should look like my father-in-law's head - he's bald and sports a nice, smooth dome.

Second thing to check is protrusion of the firing pin. I don't know what the spec is, but someone may have it and hopefully will post. Of course if the pin stickss out too far, its going to pierce primers.

If the firing pin and protrusion look good its time to start thinking about the ammo, and maybe (less likely if you can close the bolt all the way) head space.

If all that checks out you'll have me scratching my head, which isn't unusual (maybe I'll start looking like my father-in-law pretty soon).

I'm not sure if this will help you, but it is the way mine looks when the firing pin is released. At this point the pin tip protrudes about 50 thousandths, and leaves a nice hit on the primer. This is from a new MAS that were being sold by the major distributors several years ago---

IPB Image

fritz

But I do have a complete Mas 36 up in the attic.

fritz

fritz the MAS 36 is an accurate rifle, once you fix the sights.

It is just a bit rough in operation and it has seen A LOT less wear that my Mausers..: )

KARL

I know it is short, because Frenchmen are inherently "short' (remember Napolean?).

But short can be remedied (in men, with new miracle drugs) and in rifles with spacers.

Here's mine (on the rifle of course)-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/MASspacer.jpg

fritz

Hey fritz, you put the handle on backwards!

I thought that there was something strange about this rifle, but being part French I just chalked it up to someones' idea of being "different".

Karl, how do you "fix" the sights on these? I had (again the word jerry-rigged) a scope base on it, and it was pretty secure. It required removing the rear sight elevating part and machining a press-fit bar to fit in that channel. Two holes drilled and tapped on the receiver ring completed the rifle for a base I had on hand.

Well, it wasn't very accurate with a scope, so I put the original parts back on. Hell, I know that there are still two holes drilled and tapped on the receiver, and that I have now gone and done it and ruined a very collectible piece of art from the French Foreign Legion. I feel bad about that.

I guess I will wait until I gather a few more transgressions and then go over to Bill's site and spill my guts out.

Father Bill, will you hear my confession?

fritz

I got a MAS36 from BIG5 in 2001 for $60 on sale in unissued condition with the rolled up sling.

I want to keep it unfired as a historical piece to represent the French in WWII.

I did some measuring this morning. Firing pin protrusion is .119"! The diameter of the tip is .074", for a length of .191".

Comparing my bolt to the one pictured, the front of the camming piece on the striker seems to have less of a gap between it and the rear of the cutout in the bolt. Thanks for the picture.

Guest Guest_BobVZ_*

Sounds like you got one like I did several years ago. The firing pin was broken and had slid back into the opening(round hole) in the tip. I removed it and made a new one from the shank of one of those mini screwdrivers you get at the import/discount store. I bought a set for 88 cents and selected one that was close in diameter but a little big. I cut off the shank, chucked in in my electric drill and used a stone to reduce the diameter to match the original. Next, I rounded one end and then cut it to approx length. Then I annealed the cut end with a propane torch and inserted the pin and checked protrusion/adjusted by grinding. Finally, I set the pin in by peening it through the hole using two hardened punches - one for and anvil and one with the hammer. This keeps the pin from falling out. Note: if the end is still flared in the pin hole then you will need to shear it off with a punch to remove the broken pin.

Bob

fritz,

Sorry to take so long to reply.

The rear sight on mine was drilled off center so the rifle shot WAY to the left.

It was off the target board at 100 meters WITH "issue" ammo!!!

I was unable to move the front sight over enough to compensate as the front sight blade was blocked by the sight hood.

I had to:

Saw off the front sight hood.

Remove and grind down the right side of the front site base.

Go to the range and "drift" the from sight to the left with a punch till the groups were in "the black".

Then as I wanted a sight hood, just for looks, I cut a groove in both sides of the front sight base with a dermal tool and slid on the front site hood from a k-98 Mauser.

It looks odd to a purist but it shoots almost as well as a good Mauser.

Karl.

P.S.

Makes you feel sorry for those poor French grunts when the Germans came over the hill!!!

The angled-forward bolt handle was precision engineered for easier throwing while turning to run.

Whoever designed it was the French Garand. I'm sure he's considered a hero over there, and they probably have foot races in his honor.

Har! This is fun (but I decided I didn't want to bring it up either)!

bja105,

Does your MAS 36 sporter have a cross-bolt safety in the trigger guard? If so, please post a picture of the safety assembly. I have a MAS 36 that I would like to convert to 450 Marlin. It will need some kind of safety. Maybe with a little welding, drilling, and hand fitting a typical shotgun safety could be installed.

bja105,

Does your MAS 36 sporter have a cross-bolt safety in the trigger guard? If so, please post a picture of the safety assembly. I have a MAS 36 that I would like to convert to 450 Marlin. It will need some kind of safety. Maybe with a little welding, drilling, and hand fitting a typical shotgun safety could be installed.

No crossbolt safety. It has a tang safety that DOES NOT WORK!! I'll get some pictures for you, pics of what not to do. No safety makes the rifle useless as a hunting rifle, but it was free. Never fired, only dropped once.