Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bucca Prison Blues

Reverend Recoil

Bucca Prison Blues

Bucca, Iraq

Bucca Prison is located near the Persian Gulf and the Port of Iraq. The prison at this time houses 7,500 Arab insurgents and Iraqi thieves and murders. KBR has the contract for design and construction of the prison force protection.

While I was there a prisoner slung a rock at one of the guard towers. The rock entered the gun port and hit the grating over a female soldier’s head. This woman corporal is about 5’-5” and maybe weighs 125 lbs. She never said a thing. She quickly came out of the tower with her shotgun and bandolier of ammunition. As the prisoner reach for another rock to throw, she expertly spun her 12 gage shotgun around her shoulder and through its sling and fired from her hip with blazing speed. I was impressed. It was like watching Annie Oakley in action. The blast hit the prisoner in the center of his chest. He dropped to the ground and flopped like a goldfish out of water. Fortunately for him the 12 gage shell was loaded with only a rubber slug. When the prisoner was finished with his convulsions, the corporal calmly walked over to him, racked another shell into the chamber, and put the barrel to his head.

Nobody throws rocks at her tower anymore.

Reverend Recoil

I will spend three weeks at home for Christmas and then go back to Iraq. I will leave Iraq for good June 2006. Two years in this sand box will be enough.

I have seen no antiques firearms in Iraq. In Afghanistan there are many black powder muskets for sale in the market. I have only seen pictures of them from KBR workers that have return from that area. They are percussion fired but the butt-stocks are curved similar to muskets from the 1600's. I doubt if they are true antiques. I think they are still being made in gun shops along the Pakistan border.

Reverend Recoil