Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Karlunity

karlunity

Fellas.

I am getting a "Richardson boot pistol" from SOG.

The add said: .36 cal.#11 caps and black powder.

Problem is the man at the store there are 3 sizes of .36 cal.

.350... .360.. .375..

What is the difference?

As to "Black powder" is it all the same or are there different types?

karl

Guest Uncle DuPont

Karl, I'm not familiar with the pistol you named...but I will assumpt that it is a single shot, if so...it will use a .350 patched ball and either 3fg black powder or "pistol" grade pyrodex, the other size balls are for revolvers............as to powders.....that is a real ball of string, there isfour granulations of GOEX black powder that is made here in the U.S. and several grades of "Swiss" powder used by serious BP competition shooters , there is WANO and Elephant brand, not to leave out anything...there are at least 4 different BP substitutes, Pyrodex, pellets and powder, Triple 7, etc. if you can find it, real black powder still works best.

Thank you Uncle.

I am really looking forward to this.

I have a cabinet full of rifles and pistols, but this is my first "muzzle loader" pistol.

I keep checking the mailbox like a kid on Christmas eve.

karl

Kinda hard to slug a bore with the breech plug already installed, but this is what you want to do.

I bet Uncle Patched Ball is right though. Get the .350s and try them out with patches of various sizes. Bump up the patches until it gets hard to load. If you've got to go beyond 0.020 patches, you might consider a bigger ball.

Muzzle loaders are great because anything you can stuff down them will shoot.

Muzzle loaders can suck because sometimes they're finickly about ball size, patch thickness and lube to make them accurate.

But it wouldn't be any fun if you didn't get to think, plan and experiement.

Well, it is here!!!!

I refinished the butt. It is oak but the finish was a cheap lacquer.

I carefully sanded and polished the wood and it is curing as I write.

I had to unscrew and toss the nipple in a drill and use a file and paper to reduce the circumference as it was too big to take a # cap. Out of the box, it took 3 hammer falls to set the cap off. I reduced it to match the circumference of an old nipple I had.

The other problem was the flash hole in the nipple. It was too small or perhaps just clogged.

I cleaned it out and now it works. :)

Uncle DuPont.

I could not get Black powder. The man at the shop said he "could not sell it". So I got a pound of "American Brand power" FFFG.

The fella did not have a charge chart but said " just load it a bit lighter than BP which the maker of the pistol said is 10 gr.

Any of you use this "American Brand powder" ?

karl

Guest Uncle DuPont

Thats a new one on me Karl, but I would say thats about right for a starting load, I shoot a .36 Rev. and use a 9MM. case as a powder measure, it throws about 22 grains of 3fg black.

I have been shooting BP guns near all my life and enjoy them more all the time! Have Fun Buddy!

Well, I went to the range with my ML pistol.

I started out with 10 grains and at 22 feet, the ball was bouncing off the target.

Humm thinks I ..this calls for more powder. I went from 10 to 15 grains.

The boom was better and the balls hit the target.

This pistol has NO sights so it is like firing a shotgun.

Still, I had a blast and I shall go back next week.

Uncle DuPont...I shall take your advice and continue to try and get some BP.

This new finagled American brand powder, seems to lack punch.

karl

Karl, I don't know if you ever make it into Orange County? I know when I lived in Ca real BP was hard to find. There is a store in Anaheim Walker47 that sells it.

http://www.walker47.com/

So if you don't have any luck near you. You might give them a try. Its a fun store to go to lots of BP guns to look at. At least a couple years ago it was that way?

Tom

Well, I had to do a few finishing touches.

The touch hole had to be reamed out and cleaned, the trigger screw tightened, but after that, the pistol worked well.

The balls went through the target at 11 feet but it took 27.8 grains of American brand powder!!!

The upper limit in the manual was 15 of BP.

I would have to say that the "American pioneer powder" seems weak.

Alas no-one seems to carry old BP any more any one know why?

So as the "Richardson boot pistol" : The price $50 for a well made BP pistol is good.

But the pistol needs "finishing touches", if you are a gun hobbyist, as most of us are, and have the tools and some experience, I would say buy one.

If your a novice, expect to pay $ 100 bucks to a smith to get the pistol working right.

karl

Karl, I use American Pioneer Powder, loose granulation, in my Traditions .50 cal. short-barreled "Pennslyvania" percusion rifle. I use 110 grains under a 245gr Powerbelt bullet. Both American Pioneer, and the Triple-7 brand black-powder substitues burn a little hotter than regular black powder. They are supposed to be used volume-for-volume, not scaled weight. The advantages to them, are that they clean up easier, and don't have the "rotten-egg" sulfur smell as opposed to the real black powder. For many years, I remained a die-hard traditionalist when it came to black powder, and only just last year did I start trying out the lines of substitutes, and am very pleased with either of the two aforementioned, with the American Pioneer bieng my favorite. I also use them in my SXS .54 cal Kodiak rifle, and my CVA Wolf in-line rifle.

Because it's really cool stuff!

It's a real explosive, not just a propellent. It'll blow up regardless of how it's contained. A propellent, like Pyrodex and the other BP substitutes won't burn unless under pressure. Try lighting a little pile of IMR4895 or other smokeless powder with a match - it takes some effort, and once it goes it just fizzes. BP substitutes are a little more "responsive" but not much. In a flintlock they're worthless.

Hopefully you'll still be able to mail order some real BP (even in KA) - I get mine from Graf's (thier name brand is good stuff IMVHO).. I actually like the rotten egg smell. To butcher a line from Apocalypse Now, "It smells like history".

When you get the real thing make a VERY LITTLE pile and try to light it with a match. WHOOOF! You can make a bomb out of BP and it won't care what contains it. Maybe this is why its become hard to get over the last decade or so.

To more directly address your excellent question about why, the answer is: Der Regluatorss. There's been an increase in storage and inventory regulations (special magazines on casters, painted just so, detialed blueprints of the storage facility provided to local fire dept and law encforcement with fees, etc) recently that add up to too big of an expense and hassle for Mom and Pop to store an admittley dangerous substance that has been in widespread and common use - and until 20 yrs ago available at every corner hardware store (before these also became extinct) for literally centuries.

Final answer: we're becoming weenies. America becoming a country of weenies is our most current clear and present danger.

Guest Guest_karlunity_*
They are supposed to be used volume-for-volume, not scaled weight.

KodiakHunter

How is this done? Do I need a special tool?

I was using a Lee dipper (2.2) and conversion chart.

karl

How is this done? Do I need a special tool?

A powder measure would help, but really isn't necessary.

The Lee Dipper should work too. You'll need to know the density of the BP substitute to convert from volume to grains.

I got a powder measure for BP today.

It seems kinda useless. You set the meter for. say 20 grains..fill it up close the spout and load?

The Lee dipper seems simpler .... or am I missing something?

Dan'l Karl

Karl, Dixie Gunworks, and Cabela's carry black powder accessories, and the probably the most convient for you would be a replica Colt pistol powder-flask. they usually come with a 30 grain spout, and other sized spouts are available. Just fill it up & recap it, grasp the flask, put your index finger over the end of the spout, and and with your thumb, flip the valve/lever, tip it upside down, let go of the valve lever, turn upright & pour. Also they have brass adjustable powder measures that go from 10 to 120 grains. The powder flasks eliminate the extra step between the powder container and the barrel (or cylinder if it's a revolver). I hope this will be helpful.

Guest Guest_karlunity_*

Well, first let me say thanks to "Uncle Dupont" "Kodiak Hunter " "Doble Troble" and "shooter Tom"

for their help and advice.

The darn pistol SHOOTS!!!!!!

The problem was that I was not "patching" correctly and getting gas leak.

Once I used my brain...smoke came out of my ears!!!

I figured it out.

Now I get a real honest recoil and the ball goes clean through the target: )

Karl