Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.243 Mexican Mauser

riffeym

Hello again gentlemen! Since telling you about my Mexican Mauser that I just happened upon (See the "Mauser" thread under the "Firearms" forum) I have taken my first "test" shot with this magnificent rifle.

After cleaning her thoroughly and checking her for obvious sign of damage, I proceded to mount a Barska 6x24x50 AO scope, Uncle Mike QD swivels, a Talon one-hander sling and a Rock Mount 6"-13" bi-pod on her (pictures at the end of this message). Since this gun doesn't look like it's been fired much, I decided to take the "safe" route and fire her "remotely" using the bi-pod, rear bag and a cord to pull the trigger with.

I set her up, backed up about 10 feet and s l o w l e y pulled the cord until she went off, hitting a paper plate about 30 yards away. The gun sat there like it was saying "what were you worried about? I wasn't going to do anything bad". I shucked the brass and checked it and the gun out. The gun was fine and the brass showed no signs of deformation. I think we have a winner here!

Now to get her dialed in!

Mike B)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks good.

You asked for a pic of mine a while back, sorry it took so long but here are a few:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lots of material in the stock to work with. I can slim it down a lot. Lots of potential. Kaliber, 7x57.

Ken,

The 1936 Mexicans came with a springfield type cocking piece. Really neat because you can manually cock it or even decock it I suppose.

ZD30,

Funny, I haven't shot it yet. I want to driil & tap it for a scope. but maybe next time to the range I'll give the irons a try.