Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Groove, Forcing Cone, And Cylinder Throat Dimensions

BEJ

• 2 weeks later...

What is the ideal relationship between Groove diameter, Forcing cone diameter, cylinder throat diameter, and a bullet, in a revolver ?? TIA for all responses.

Been thinking about this question for awhile. After serious consideration,I think the relationship between groove, forcing cone,cylinder throat, and bullet should be such that it allows the bullet to leave the revolver in a timely manner headed in the right direction.

Professor Swamprat

BEJ,

The reason I made light of your question is, just what the HELL you talking about? If it's a 45 out of the cylinder it had damn sure better be a 45 to the forcing cone,and down the barrel!

You might take a 25 fired in a cylinder, shove it down a 32 forcing cone, and expend it out a 38 barrel, but I just don't think your going to get the desired effects. However! You take a 38 fired in a cylinder, shove it down a 32 forcing cone, you can pretty much forget the 25 barrel.

All relationships are hard but cylinder to out of the barrel should not be!

Professor Swamprat

For the most part, you're right, but many revolvers, both S&W and Ruger, have cylinder throats that are TOO small and need to be opened up. Imagine trying to fire a .452 bullet out of a charger hole that is only .450 and a bore diameter of .452. The bullet would be swaged down to the cylinder throat diameter before entering the barrel. I read somewhere that the bullet should be .005 to .001 larger than the barrel groove diameter and the cylinder throats should be .0005 to .001 larger than the bullet. This is speaking of cast bullets. I believe the same article mentioned jacketed bullets could be up to .001 larger than the barrel groove with a correspondingly larger throat. I asked the question to see if any target shooters could verify this information and if they had any personal experience with the groove, throat, bullet diameter relationship. That's it for this week. Think it's time for some R&R. Have a great holiday !!!