Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.375 Ruger

usmc0332

I watched a hunt in Africa with Boddington and Steve Hornady last night. Hornady was using the new .375 Ruger. They said that it was a round that matched the .375 H&H but in a standard action. The Hornady site has ammo that is about 10fps slower than it with the 270 grn bullet. Ruger has a Hawkeye Magnum rifle chambered in the new round with a 20" barrel. I figured somebody here might be interested. I have not seen it discussed yet. I still dream about rifles, even though I have no projects going on.

no projects going on... Huh? are you sure you're in the right spot? this is sporterizing.com... home of the overly project-ed milsurp collectors... turks are only $75 hand picked, delivered to your door from SOG... better make it two. you don't want to run out again! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

no projects going on... Huh? are you sure you're in the right spot?

Maybe he's the only sane one here!! I read the recent article in the Rifleman about it. I'm giving it some consideration instead of the 375 H&H I planned to build on an Enfield. I still have a commercial Santa Barbara mag action that is beggin for a barrel and a Voere 308 Norma that needs to be modernized. Just to many mind projects, to many calibers and no where near enough loose change to continue supporting this addiction.

I was going to get a Turk for Christmas, but my cousin with the C&R said that he can't find any. Any suggestions? I need one to build that Tweed. My spare coin has recently been more like pocket lint. I have to use that holiday thing for some good use. Lack of projects is not from lack of want, hahaha.

• 4 weeks later...

This month in Rifle Magizine there was an article about the 375 Ruger. It looks like the two firms of Hornady and Ruger have finally presented the information to the public as to the specs on the round and testing by gunwriters and others has begun on the rifle. Looks like it is going to get the same job done the 375 H&H round has done for almost 100 years. I am guessing the trend of trying to get a shorter action to do the same thing a long action has done will continue till the manufactures figure out a new way to sell rifles. I have a cousin that is a doctor and has picked up the hunting bug.. Last year for a joke my step-dad and myself tryed to presude him that it was almost impossible to kill the average size deer with anything less than a 375 RUM. LOL He almost bought into it. I can imagine my cousin taking his 375 into the hardwoods and blowing deer apart, and nearly knocking himself out of the tree stand in the process. Eventually he settled for a 25 wssm. Which is a far cry from a 375 but it was fun to try and sway his purchase. Plus I always wanted to feel the kick of the 375 RUM for myself. MS8mm

I read the article in Rifle yesterday. I bet it won't be long before we see one of them on this board. Someone will have to build their .416 Taylor a younger brother. I look forward to viewing yet another beautiful work of art that someone built in their garage.