Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.257 Roberts Project / Pic

weagle

I mostly lurk around here trying to educate myself, but I thought I'd share a project I'm working on.

Note: No collectable mausers were mutilated during this project :)

I was going through some of my odds and ends last weekend and decided to try to cobble together a little .257 roberts with the stuff I had on hand. I had a Turk 98 action with a satin nickle .257 roberts barrel installed, several military trigger guards and a beat up Laminated German military mauser stock. Most of the work was slimming up the trigger guard and reshaping the stock, but I ended up with 6lb 13oz sporter that if nothin else is unique. I still have to forge the bolt and reshape it, finish removing the stripper clip hump and D&T for scope bases, but it should make a handly little deer killer:

Weagle

IPB Image

Guest Guest_weagle_*

I'll probbaly go with a timney trigger with the side safety. I'm not good much past 100 yds with irons, so it will definity be wearing a scope.

Weagle

• 1 month later...

I'm almost finish now. I forged and shaped the bolt handle, drilled and tapped it for bases and now all I need to do is install a low safety and touch-up the bluing on the reciever.

I think it will be a pretty handy little sporter

Weagle

IPB Image

that is really nice. I like how you worked the stock. this gives me some ideas on what to do with the M98 Turk that I'm using for a 8mm/300win mag project. If you put iron sights and use leupold {weaver style} QD rings it would be a rocker for sure.

Not only a nice little deer killer as you say but a classic example of a sporter built on the economy plan. You definitely earned a A+ for the clever way you utilized and assembled surplus parts to build a fine lightweight rifle any deer hunter would be proud to carry afield.