Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Finally Did Something

ShooterTom

That's something I've wanted to do for a long time too,and have had the applications several times ready to send in,but somehow get side tracked.Maybe I'll get started back on it when I get back from hunting.When this 'puter stuff started,I started looking up my family history to see if we had any Civil War Vets in the family because no one in the family knew for sure.It turned out my GG Grandfather was in the was as was his 3 brothers,and 2 were killed,one wounded,and my grandfather made it out in one piece.The General he served under was his father-in-law,a General Mayfield.I've always purely loved history,and when I started digging up all our family history and even got Dad and my Grandmother interested,well,I was hooked on Geneology too.I found out my folks came from Seneca South Carolina in the 1820's to Reform Alabama,and then to what is now Grayson Co.Texas in 1871.Whoops,sorry to get started.I'm a long way off from Tom joining the Sons of the Confederacy.Good for you Tom!Jerry

I am eligable to join and probably will someday too. And the Masonic lodge too.

I have two ancestors on my paternal who fought for the Confederacy and both of whom are buried in Panola county, Texas. My father did a lot of geneology work to research and document our family history and I've got copies of the documents from the state archives documenting my ancestor's service. Also, Nacogdoches has the Stone Fort camp and they put on re-enactments every year at the Blueberry Festival and march in all the parades in full Confederate regalia.

Good on you Tom.

Have a good weekend,

Jason

Thanks Jerry, Ive only started to scratch the surface of my family. Luckly I found alot online by kin who had quite an extensive geneaolgy already completed of my maternal grandfathers line.

In his line Matthias Gish was the first one in this country from Germany he landed in Lebanon Pa in 1733 Much earlier than I always thought. His grandson left Pa (took his father with him) and setteled in Virginia in 1792 in the Roanoke, Vinton, Daleville areas.

Thats where the four branches of my Mothers line, all come from. The Gish's, Ellers's, Brubaker's, and Miller's many of whom served in the Confederacy. The one I registered with the SCV, Is my G.G.G Grandaddy Elias Brubaker, Who served in the 157th Virigina Militia.

The interesting thing was when they SCV were confirming my lineage. He asked me if i had kin that served in Texas. He found an Elisha T. Gish that served in the 1st Battalion Texas Sharp Shooters. I haven't tryed tracing him yet but that would be a hoot if I had Kinship with a Texan! It would almost make me feel legitimate : )

The camp I registered with is Camp 1648 Colonel Middleton Tate Johnson in Arlington. I guess there is a camp closer to me in Bedford. The recruiter suggested I not go with that camp because they have joint meetings with the "Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War" he felt it wasnt right to be fraternizing with Yankee's LOL.

I've rambled enough hope i didn't bore you too much this family research is addicting.

Tom

Thanks Jason, Im really looking forward to it all. The area camps here will be in a parade at the Fort Worth Stockyards. January 13th im looking forward to going.

Tom

Geneolgy is some cool stuff. It helps to know where you come from. My natural family was not here in Minnesota from Finland before the turn of the century. My adopted family started in Tunn Tavern, PA, in 1775. I have always loved history. I hope you find the long lost cousins. I have met some distant ones. I found it interesting how alike we were.

• 2 weeks later...