Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Went To The Range With Ye Ole Cap And Ball Pistol

karlunity

I went to the range with the Remington New Model Army 1858.

First the good parts:

It has to be the most powerful handgun I have ever fired.

It put holes in the target the size of grapes!!!!

The 1858 is as accurate as my other pistols.

It took no longer to clean than my other revolvers.

Now the bad parts:

Having to cover the chambers with Crisco or bore butter is a real pain.

The grips tend to become slippery.

On the whole, I am glad that I got the pistol, but I don't think I am going to start a "collection".

Karl

Karl, You can use .44-.45 felt wads in place of the crisco. What I can't remember is the loading sequence when using them. I dont want to tell you the wrong thing. So im sure someone will come along that knows I will look for my notes in the mean time.

The wads make it much cleaner and easier to use.

Tom

Karl,

I never had a problem with greasy grips. Just keep a rag handy. Ballistol is a great spray for the cylinder pin. I bought it online.

I only buy Uberti. Pietta's finish work doesn't cut the mustard.

Yeah, those old guns are something. One time it took the top of a tin can and ripped it around the back side of the can. Mangled it good.

Karl,

Get yourself some of these.

Put a handful in a bowl with a few tablespoons full of Crisco. If you want to get fancy and really don't like grease add some soy or bees wax from the craft store candle making section (it'll harden up better). Put the bowl in the microwave and cook a few seconds until the Crisco/wax melts. Stir with a spoon. Pour out on Saran wrap and let dry. Store in a zip lock bag. Make sure to take the zip lock bag with you to the range the next time you shoot your C&B revolver.

At the range, charge your cylinder withh BP. Place a grease wad over the powder. Place a ball over the grease wad. Repeat until the cylinder is loaded. Cap the nipples. Shoot the revolver. Enjoy the improved accuracy and reduction of gooey mess.

A rag is still required.

FC.

I went with the Pietta as a first Cap and Ball, as the price was less and I have read a bad report on the Uberti. If I get more, I will give them a try.

Fellas

Thanks I will get some pads at the BP store tomorrow.

You know, it is a wonder that these early revolvers found favor with the infantry in the Civil War.

I could see Calvary using them in a mêlée, but over a long infantry battle with all the dirt and mud , how did they clean them?

Some sites say the that only way to clean them is take them completly apart and pour on hot water on them or soak them with boiling water.

Hot water was dam hard to find in Nam 100 years later.

How Lee or Grant's guys found it after every battle is byond me.

Karl

Karl,

Hot water was everywhere during the civil war. All cooking was done over open fires in iron pots. Getting hot water was easy for them. As for hot water in Nam. No open fires, no iron pots. Just those stupid trash can heaters! However I did seem to get myself in hot water from time to time.

The average calvary raider in the civil war carrried at least 4 and up to 6 revolvers giving him 24 to 36 shots. Hit and run with superior fire power. I for one would not want to face even a light troop with just a single shot musket. I think they may have had more need for hot water to wash thier pants after being hit by raiders!

As far as the greasy mess goes try removing the cylinder before appling the grease. That way you do'nt smear it all over the frame.

Swamprat

Karl bring a can of waterless hand cleaner like Goop and plenty of rags with you to the range. I had one like your's but gave it to my son a few years ago and have missed it since. On my last outing with it I bought along pre-lubed pads I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse and didn't fool with the Crisco. My hands got a little greasy from the pads but after things get to greasy to handle the Goop worked wonders. You will go home with clean hands. At the range, before leaving, I used the Goop and a US GI surplus 45 brush down the bore and cylinder and the fouling was loose by the time I got home. The Goop on metal under hot tap water is totally soluable and rinsed right off along with alot of the crud. You don't have to be a mountan man, try using Hodgden's Triple 7. I have never had a misfire with it in the Remington like I have on numerous occasions with Pyrodex.

Thanks fellas.

I went out and got a bag of pads to use, in place of the Crisco and a nice powder flask by

"Pedersoli". It has a 28 grain tube and the Hippy is kind enough to go back to the store tomorrow and get me a 15-17 grain tube to go with it so I can use one flask with both BP pistols,

Take care

Karl