Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Killed Second Deer Of The Year.

CSANSO

I got my second deer of the year on sat. Got to the stand just before daylight that morning. I spent the dark time getting settled and ready. It being full moon this weekend and cold I had a good feeling when I left that morning. My mother was sitting in the stand about 300 yards away on another hill. Day broke on a beautiful morning. Frost made the trees look white in the dawn light and the birds seem to be having a hard time finding a reason to get out of the nest because it was very quiet. At 6:49 a deer came out at the end of one of my lanes. I had plenty of light and knew from it size at about 100 yards that it was a shooter. Although I could not tell it was a buck or a doe there was not enough light to see antlers. I had a feeling it was a buck because of the way it had its nose on the ground and seemed to be on the trail of something. I slowly got my gun into postion got the cross hairs in place and pulled the trigger. the bullet struck about an inch and a half above where I was aiming, which was at the heart. With the drop in elevation the bullet hits high. That really didn't matter because he hit the dirt when the bullet hit him. I cycled the bolt and put the crosshairs back on the deer. It didn't wiggle again. I sat there for a min or two catching my breath and pumping my fist. It has been two years without me getting a deer. This year so far has been a good time. I got down out of the stand and called my mother on the phone and told her, I had one down and to come on over. It took her a few mins to get there. When she got there we walked down the hill and the closer I got the more I started to doubt myself that I had shot a shooter deer. When I got to the deer I saw the antlers, little thought they were they were antlers, and I was glad I hadn't killed a baby. My mom killed A spike with a kicker last night at 5:10. It was a two year old deer. The spikes were working on 10 in. long. The cold spell that entered this last week has finally moved the deer out of the thickets and seems to have gotten the rut started. Hoping to get another few this weekend. I am hoping it will be the big one in my area I have been hunting. There is a nice buck running around in my area I have been after for two years. I will try to post picture of mine and my mothers deer. As always good hunting and have fun. MS8mm

You're a lucky guy twice over!! In my state there are more hunters than deer so deer permits are on a lottery system. I didn't get drawn for anything this year and didn't get picked for Javalina this coming Feburary either. Sure hope by next deer season I get half as lucky as you did.

We have way more deer than hunters and I am in a very good state for deer hunting. We can take 6 a year. 3 bucks and 3 does. I waited till college to get into hunting and regret that I did not take up the sport before that time. It was not until my mother meet her current husband that my family really got into deer hunting. I hunted ducks for a few years before that, but when I killed my first deer I knew where I wanted to spend my time. I still enjoy duck hunting, but will not drop deer hunting so I can afford to go. This year is the hardest I have hunted, I have been in the stand more and put more effort in to the preseason work than any year before. It is paying off now. What is funny my step-father who has been hunting deer for maybe 30 some years has gone deerless so far, and it is bugging the crap out of him. He keeps saying he is going to quit. I told him he just needs a new rifle. He is still using his one and only deer rifle. A Remington 742 in 30/06, I think he bought it in 1976. The thing has killed more deer than I have ever seen. He is on the verge of putting it in the closet and getting a new one.

• 1 month later...