Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Advice Needed

odies dad

I was at the pawn shop yesterday when a guy I know brought in a gun to trade for another.

I have a chance to pick up a 1954 dated Russian SKS in superb condition with 2 boxes of 70's vintage Lapua ammo and 3 boxes of Winchester ammo.

The bore is perfect. The whole gun is in excellent condition.

Asking price is $175 (firm). $50 less and I would already have it at home but that is more than I allow myself for spur of the moment gun grabs.

My Chinese SKS was only $89 a few years ago and Yugos are in the $150 range. What is this worth and will I have regrets other than if the wife finds out?

I'd snap it up if I thought I'd ever want a Russian.

I doubt you'll ever find one that cheap again. I'm not positive, since I don't price them myself but I think they usually go for about $300 or so now.

I had a Russian years ago and dumped it. I wish I'd hung on to it. It was a good shooter. Seems like every collection needs an SKS. Or even better, one of each variation.

you'll never regret buying a russian SKS, and that price is awesome. they go for 300. to 350. on the online auctoin site now. they were the first and in my opinion the best of the breed. i got mine from the first batch that hit our shores many years ago, 125.00 wholesale, and it is still my favorite "fun gun", having fired at least 4000-5000 rnds without a hitch. hope you get it! steve

Do you know the history behind it?? There is a good chance the Rusky SKS was a souvenir bought back from Viet Nam and even a remote possibility it came from Grenada or the East Berlin black market. I'd buy it for 175, hopefully he has the original bayonet, sling and is including it. If not I still consider it is still a good buy and excellent investment. If there is some way of documenting it is a war time bring-back you can use it to trade up dealing with military collectors at gunshows.

"I would buy it without question"

Me too, when the new House and Senate meets next year look for this type of firearm to be probably banned. At least they will increase in price (when available again).

fritz

It has import marks on it, but the story he told was..

He is a veitnam vet. His crew found 5 cases of SKS's still in cosmoline. They were kinda on the run when they found them but a call to a couple copter pilots with what they found elicited some quick help. Some of the stuff ended up in the hands of the officers, but he was able to get one home.

I don't know if he has this one confused with another that he bought or if they would have an import mark on it and still be over there.

In any case it is excellent condition, has the blade bayonette, sling, and cleaning kit. I told Royce that I'd take it if he still had it.

I figured there is more than $50 worth of ammo.

I'll let you know next week what happens.