Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Manureman

tinkerfive

At the top of this page it says "Turning junk into"...

Come summer when all the snow has melted and the insurance check been cut,

you'll still have piles of "junk".

Here is the idea I want to plant in your mind.

That "junk" many not be so badly bent and damaged that it can't be fixed up.

If you can rig up some fixtures with hydrolic jacks you may be able to straighten

your trusses. You did say that they were steel, right?

Then what you do is double things up putting a truss in between two previous positions.

You end up with half the length you had before but it should be at least twice as strong

and the material didn't cost you anything.

You mentioned that you knew of a few other growers in your same situation, perhaps

they will have "junk" buildings that they will sell off cheap.

Just a thought to plant in your head.

I know that right now it's probably difficult to see the forest for the trees.

By summer you may be able to see a brighter outlook than you can see right now.

Wishing you all the best!

Tinker

Thanks for the idea that hadn't crossed my mind.You know the odd thing is that when these barns were built they bent some of the trusses unloading them and I wouldn't accept them .They came out of Oklahoma and the 18 wheeler that hauled them was an independent so rather than pay to have just a few hauled back they just gave them to me and sent replacements on the next load.I straightened them up and started to build a shop with them, we just got the trusses up and had the purlins on them when a thunderstorm blew up out of nowhere and blew everything down and bent hell of them again.I REstraightened them and built my shop with these way less than straight trusses.It sets on the same ridge within rock throwin' distance of the turkey barns and its still standing! Maybe I should have bent them all ? lol... Jim

Jim, if you can make some good come from the mangled barns it would add a bit more silver lining to the events you have been through as of late. Why not see what you can use from the barns to your benefit as has been suggested. Maybe that new workshop for those projects you are going to have time to do now. Whatever you decide though, I am truly impressed with your ability to cope with everything and still reach out to help your neighbors through it all. swamp_thing