Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bargains From The Good Old Days

AzRednek

The price of the Tasco's sure haven't changed much, but then again a dollar was actually worth 100 cents back then...

Tasco and most other scopes have changed. Price a metal tube and real glass, not plastic lens scope today to get a comparison. I'm guessing but I imagine with inflation the 1967 prices would be apx 4 fold of today's dollor. Never the less a NRA excellent M-1 for 129 and a brand new FN Mauser for a 108 are hard to beat. When I think back in hindsight, being 16 when this ad appeared and the money I blew back then chasing pussy and on my 57 Chevy. Sure wish I had put a little aside and bought a few Mausers before mail order was banned in 1968.

77 bucks back then was harder to find than $ 700 now. : )

The Turks and Mosins of today are even cheaper if you factor in today's real value against that of 67.

Thanks AZ. I enjoy reading those old adds. : )

karl

2 old men were talking when said "my God I can remember when a Coke was a nickle".The other old man said "Ya,and I can remember when no one had a nickle".Something I'll never forget when I here folks talking about the old days and prices.Jerry

2 old men were talking when said "my God I can remember when a Coke was a nickle".The other old man said "Ya,and I can remember when no one had a nickle".Something I'll never forget when I here folks talking about the old days and prices.Jerry

I missed the nickle cokes, but my first job was on a vegitable farm that had a road side stand and small bottles (the thick glass kind) of coke were a dime. That was about '72

I can remember when a coke was a nickle and so was four big cinnamon rolls in a pack. We also could get a sandwich on french with choice of meats for 15 cents . That was back in the 40's . Boy am I getting old. :rolleyes::lol: In the 60's I bought an O3-A3 unissued in cosmoline for $35.00. Wish I still had it.

I think cokes were a nickle when I was in grade school, but by the time I got to vocational school in 1962, they were 6 cents.

But the trade school I was in had a grinder, and the vending machines were not very sophiscated. We could take a penny and grind it down to the size of a dime, put it into the machine and get a coke and 4 cents in change.

Well, you can guess where the four pennies went, back into the machine again as dimes. This little scheme worked until the school narrowed down the shops that had grinders.

Let me see, in 1957 I was 14 years old and yearning for a car of my own. My parents didn't like me using their '55 Chevy, although my dad did let me use the '49 Chevy truck to fix fences, etc.

Finally in 1959, I got my driver's license and my dad bought me a '52 Ford hot-rod. Oh, the memories that old car brings back. Some good, some bad.

How times have changed, but I did get a few of those bargains on guns back in 1967. The problem was that I didn't have enough money to get as many as I can get today. I noticed in the 1967 ad that there were no Chilean 1895 long rifles listed. I must have gotten the last of them in 1966, unissued, for around 20 bucks.

How times have changed.

fritz