Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Don't Want To Ruin Your Holiday's But

swamprat

That's how the doctor started out. Guy's I need your prayer's. It looks like I might have prostrate cancer but won't know until after the holiday's. They started me on antibiotics to see if it's an infection but nothing will be known until the end of the year. So if you all could offer a prayer in my behalf I would appreciate it.

Swamprat

Rat really sorry to hear it. I've known individuals that have had Postrate cancer and survived for years. My uncle in paticular had it for over 30 years. He lived to 89 years of age before it spread. He would probably still be alive today if his HMO, Kaiser Foundation wasn't so chicken shot. Ask your Dr about a PET scan and you will know with in a few days.

I met a person that was recently told he was cancer free after receiving the treatment in the link below. Last time I checked into it for a relative the treatment was only available in California. It is out of the govt classification as experimental so it is possible your insurance might cover it.

I have a relative with Medicare and so far they have paid for three PET scans. Both the PET scan and the Proton therapy are expensive. Verify coverage with your insurance. I was told a few years ago that I likely had lung cancer. If I had followed my Dr's plan I would have had to wait weeks and painfull biopsy for a straight answer. I got the PET scan and found out it wasn't cancer in a couple of days.

I had to put up almost two g's for the PET scan, had to deal with my insurance co's appeal process but finally I was reimbursed. That incident occured apx 5-6 years ago so I imagine insurance co's aren't so chicken shot about it now. Chances are good your insurance will require a referral from your Dr, so lean on him.

Good luck in what ever path you decide to go for a 100% recovery. I will ask god in my prayers for his help and guidance in sending you down the road of a hasty 100% recovery.

http://www.proton-therapy.org/pr08.htm

Just some local info on the PET scan. I believe the scan is availabe in most large cities. Really bug your Dr about it.

http://www.petscanarizona.net/zportal/portals/pat/cancer

I'm pulling for you Swampy.I wonder all the time about how your doing,so your always in my thoughts.One of the guys that was on the hunt with us at Presidio Texas last week had prostrate cancer about 10 years ago,had the surgery and is fine now.When it's caught in early stages,it's very fixable.My brother-in-law was told this past weekend he probably had cancer,but found out he has hietal heria(sorry about the spelling),a bad ulcer,and eroded esophogus,and is now home and taking his pills.I so hope your ok.Keep us informed.I know it sounds stupid,but if there's anything I can do from down here in Tex.,you let me know.I can pray for you too!Jerry

Swamp:

I will say a prayer for your well being.

If necessary do check into the Proton therapy. it does work and works well.

We designed and built the complete unit for Loma Linda back in the late 80's early 90's. The set up was far better than our Neutron therapy unit at Fermilab, and our unit was very good then and now. The treatment with Protons is very specific in location and accuracy, without being damaging to surrounding tissue. We at Fermilab were proud to be able to do this kind research and fabrication to better others lives, we put every bit of our energy it to the project.

Gods blessings to you,

Rebel49

Swampy

My thoughts are with you and of course I hope the diagnosis is not cancer, but if it is....

First off it is a very slow growing type, old age usually gets us before the cancer does.

I've known for a long time what my choices would be if I got prostate cancer.

The proton therapy is a new one on me, kinda sounds like a 'gamma knife'.

Anyway I'd first choose what ever form of radiation therapy is available first.

Be it 'proton' 'gamma knife' or basic radiation therapy.

The next choice would be radioactive 'seed' implants.

The last thing I personally would choose would be surgery.

Surgery has the highest complication rate.

Of course some will do perfectly well with each choice and some will have problems.

It's just that the percentages of complications is better with radiation therapy Vs surgery.

Bottom line, don't fear "RADIATION'' because when used as a therapeutic tool, it is

very narrowly focused on the cancer.

Last thing, my father-in-law had radiation therapy a few years ago and is now cancer free.

NOT a doctor

Tinker

Swamp, we wish you all the best.

For what it's worth, my step father has survied for over thirty years after he was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Technology has come a long way since then so odds are even better.