Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Make What You Need.

karlunity

I was looking at a funnel that allows one to reload a flask without taking the top off.

Nice idea but with shipping it runs 23 bucks!!!

So I took a case, it had a Bardan primer so I could not reload it anyway, and I used a tube cutter to remove the base. I stuck in a small plastic funnel from the .99 store and secured the parts with scotch tape.

It fits perfectly cost about 23 cents!!!

I saw a stand made to hold a cap and ball pistol upright while it was being loaded it ran about 15 to 20 bucks.

It seemed like a good idea, so some left over wood from the garage and some rubber from an old inner tube for the gun to rest on and it is done.

Cost 50 cents.

Result : About $ 30 left over for powder, shot and range fees. : )

The good thing about not being rich as a kid and joining the Marines, not the wealthiest of services, is that a fella learns to be inventive.

Scottish Karl

Karl,

You Scotch folks have us Germans beaten when it comes to being frugal.

But a German would have reinvented the funnel and made it even better.

I heard that the Scotch (where the game of golf started) were so stingy that they vulcanized the covers of their golf balls so that they didn't need to buy a new one when they wore out the one that all of the regiment used. One ball.

I have been called tight, but I do buy a new golf ball now and then. But only when necessary, I am still a bit frugal. But I quit the golf tee repair business because I discovered that the cost of the tape used to repair a broken tee cost more than a new tee.

Sometimes you just have to buy a new one.

frugal fritz

Karl, be very cautious pouring black powder thruogh a plastic funnel! some plastics create large amounts of static electricity which will cause a spark. with black powder this could cause a big BOOM. obviously some plastics are worse than others since they sell plastic funnells in reloading kits. just something to be aware of. enjoy. Merry Christmas Steve

Karl, be very cautious pouring black powder thruogh a plastic funnel! some plastics create large amounts of static electricity which will cause a spark. with black powder this could cause a big BOOM. obviously some plastics are worse than others since they sell plastic funnells in reloading kits. just something to be aware of. enjoy. Merry Christmas Steve

Steve gave good advice. get a brass or aluminum funnel.

I made a reloading stand like brownells sells for about three bucks just like you mention.

But a German would have reinvented the funnel and made it even better.

When my brother showed up at my house with his new BMW that is worth about the same as my home. I quickly learned how the Germans reinvented the wheel. The Beemers 5 speed transmission will release the throttle, depress the clutch and do the shifting for you, or by depressing a button, or one can shift all five gears manually with or without operating the manual clutch. If the driver forgets to engage the clutch while stopping the BMW's computer senses it and does it for you. Why they just didn't put in an automatic transmision perplexes me. My brother told me when he put the same question to the car salesman with the hard German accent. He was told the Germans are determined to keep their technology two steps ahead of the Japs and one ahead of the Americans.

What I like about being of Scottish (not Scotch) decent is our known male virility amongst women. More than makes up for our frugality when buying jewlery or other loose spending to earn favors from the ladies. In other words, we have to fight them off!!

aluminum funnel

Thanks fellas, I will get one tomorrow.

I went to the range after school today.

I took the Mouse gun, a Rom .22 rifle and firing from sand bags was putting the rounds in the head of a silhouette target at 100 maters, with issue iron sights. : )

The BP Remington New Army shot very well, well for me that is, it kept the balls in the center of mass at 25 meters.

I did not realize that the powder flask was empty, till, I heard Boom..Boom ..Pop..pop.

From now on, I use the brass loading measure.

Having a ball stuck in the barrel and firing the next chamber would have ruined the day..not to mention the gun :).

Still all is well that ends well.

The loading stand made reloading a snap.

If you fellas don't have one, make one. It takes about a half hour.

The pads over the power was a great idea thanks, clean and it let's you see which chamber you just loaded.

On the whole, a good day.

Karl