Military Firearm Restoration Corner

ATI stock

spec4 e4

No, the stock has a molded in triggerguard and magazine box. All thats needed are the actions screws, spring and follower. You probaly saw my failed attempts at posting a few days ago (I thought I was really screwing things up unsure.gif ), but I was wondering what could be done to fill the open cavities in the fore stock. I have one and plan to discard the scope mount and just use the stock. I want to use some kind of filler for these cavities then bed the barrel. Also what would be the best thing to fill external holes and repaint the stock with?

filling in the barrel channel, use epoxy from walmart till it was almost fill and then bed the barrel. Same as for the screw holes. Measure the tip of the forearm where the outside and the inside of the barrel channel for me please.

Thanks

spec.4

Aren't the ati stocks black? If so, why not use acraglas with the black color added to it and fill the areas with that. You could use it all the way up the barrel channel for that matter, bedding the whole barrel. If you want it free floated, use one or two layers of masking tape on the barrel then coat that with Johnsons paste wax. After the bedding sets up, remove the tape and the barrel will have sufficient clearance to slide a dollar bill all the way up the length of it when installed in the stock. If the stock is another color, Brownells has different dyes for the acraglas.

Hope this helps. Dave

spec.4 _ The overall width of the tip is about 1 5/8" with a barrel channel of 13/16". I hope this helps. The rest of barrel channel is almost non existant about seven 1/16" thick ribs spaced 1" apart. leaves lots of room for change.

I like the idea about the black acraglass, I think I will use it for the bedding, but it will take alot to fill the whole stock so I might opt out for something cheaper.

HRC, thanks for letting me know, I have will have an extra m48 that has an PH barrel on and was thinking of that stock. Thinking of putting an Rino-liner on it to give it an texture look and feel. As for the barrel channel, why don't you use an cheap epoxy to almost fill it up then use the bedding. You may want to get the one for plastic, you might need an few but do only 1 at an time, cuase it does get hot. I fix an crack shelf in the feg and it is still holding. biggrin.gif To much beer. tongue.gif

spec.4

I used expanding foam, the common stuff found at a hardware store for sealing walls and window frame gaps. I wrapped some tape around the barrel to protect it and give it a built in gap. The foam is very sticky stuck to the the black vinyl electrician's tape I used. After the foam dried, I used black epoxy over the top of it to seal it in and blend in with the rest if the stock. Once that was dry, I sanded the whole thing smooth.

fmsniper, I love what you did to those stocks. Your right it doesn't need filled, but I have not decided my course of action yet. What did you use to finish your stock, they look top notch. Is it reinforced to attach the bipod or did you use the existing swivel hole? Also do you do anything special to hold the mag spring in place? I was just wondering since I haven't installed a complete rifle in it yet

"but it will take alot to fill the whole stock so I might opt out for something cheaper."

If you can find something cheaper than Acraglas gel that will fill up the large amounts of space (and do as good a job), let me know.

I am sure there are cheaper solutions (wine corks come to mind). But when it comes down to doing it right, stick with the Acraglas gel.

I tried the J-B Industroweld stuff, and it turned out to cost more than the Acraglas gel. Also it is harder to mix--the damned stuff is too stiff. (Wish I could say that about myself).

If you combine things like wine corks and Acraglas gel, that is the cheapest (and easiest) way to go.

fritz

Guest Guest_fritz_*

The expanding foam is great for a lot of things, and it sure does help keep the weight down.

I used some of it the other day to fill in a rusted-out cavity in the cab of an old truck. It would have taken an awful lot of epoxy to fill in that hole. Now to sand it smooth, and paint it. I guess Bondo would have been preferrable, but I didn't have any handy.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

fritz

Speaking of bondo, something else that works as well as Acraglas is fiberglass reinforced body filler. It is cheaper and stronger but not lightweight. I probably wouldn't use it for bedding but it fills voids well. Nothing sticks to plastic very well, including the acraglas, but with some good prep work I have always had good results using it.

You have to rough up the surface before applying Acraglas. Just as you have to do with wood stocks.

Since many of the synthetic stocks are already fitted to the action, it is sometimes hard to remember to do that.

fritz

I have glassed the ATI to look like the first picture, but in the second, it looks like the trigger gaurd is made of glass or covered with glass.

Does the action still come out of the stock?

TIA

Guest MorgansBoss

Am I missing something here? It seems you guys are simply trying to "fill the void" in these stocks. Why? The only reason I can imagine for filling such voids is to strengthen the stock - and I've done this with some synthetics. That said, simply filling up the hole with filler adds nothing but filler. IF, the stock needs stiffening put a rod or bar in there tying the whole fore end together and glass it in place first.

If it doesn't need stiffening, which FmSniper suggests, don't worry about it (and I'd take his word for it - personally I have no experience with this particular stock).

Sorry took so long, I am TDY down south in Korea, Iam in a Hotel.

What did you use to finish your stock,?

First sprayed with car trunk paint for texture, then cammo done with Krylon.

Is it reinforced to attach the bipod? no, never had a need too.

Also do you do anything special to hold the mag spring in place? no it works fine

I have glassed the ATI to look like the first picture, but in the second, it looks like the trigger gaurd is made of glass or covered with glass.

Does the action still come out of the stock?

TIA

1768[/snapback]

yes the action still comes out, no Glass on the trigger guard.