Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Questions

Horsefly

I have a new 7x57 19 1/2'' large ring barrel that I want to build a light sporter around,and was wondering if taking the steps off would make it too thin.I know this has been talked about a bunch,but I'd like to hear everyones thoughts again.I don't need a tackdriver bench rest gun,and I figured a lot of shooting would get the barrel hot and start walking shots around,but how about hunting accuracy? I don't like the looks of the short barrel,but am going after light weight,so would a muzzle break look funny on such a short barrel? I know muzzle blast to the sides will be horrible,but again,it's for carring up and down the canyons and small mountains of Big Bend where you do so much climbing and slidding down steep hillsides.My idea is to use one of my K.KALE actions,the 19 1/2'' barrel,Timney or Bold trigger with side safety,Corelite Mossyoak stock with the forend stiffened with an aluminum rod,and a Realtree Nikon 3x9x40 scope,and finish the metal with military Parkerize,or some dull,no glare finish.I'd like the scope and stock to match,but I'm not having any luck finding the scope in Mossyoak or stock in Realtree.If you dudes can't talk me out of this project,where do you reckon I could send the barrel to get it turned down and maybe a muzzlebrake put on? Is the brake something I could do? I have a Swede in a Choate stock with a 20'' barrel that does everything I need where I hunt,but I need another project 'cause I'm down to 5 or 6 that need finishing.Jerry

While I personally don't mind the stepped barrel "look", when you are having the large ring threads turned to small ring threads on that barrel, [to fit a K.Kale]would be a good time to "taper" it and even thread for a brake. Couple of thoughts, it seems that a brake weighs as much per inch as barrel... so gimme barrel everytime, I dislike muzzle brakes alot!! Also on one of the auction sites [maybe fleabay, but I aint sure] I saw a small ring 7mm barrel that was already threaded for a brake. Much cheaper option if you can live w/ the stepped barrel.. Sounds like you are on the way to a nice , trim, weapon, I don't think that I would clutter it up w/ a brake... get a high quality pad instead [did I mention that I don't prefer a brake?] Either way it needs to suit you and not me!! Have a good time w/ it.. MV

I wouldn't dream of talking someone out of building a light weight rifle. I hunt in thick swamp where short and light work great.

My dad has 2 with the steps turned off. Both shoot good and handle 20 rounds of range shooting.

The only bad thing I could say, would be cost. Sending it out to have it turned will cost more picking up a Rem. take off barrel. I have a few pics of a turk light weight I will post in a couple days. Enjoy your project and Merry Christmas.

The key to turing out the steps is to taper in sections and carefully blend them. I've done it so that the muzzle diameter never decreases, so I could use the issue front site or, I've tapered them to a very lightweight .550" muzzle diameter. I did one for Jason like that.

I'm all for light weight rifles but not muzzle brakes. I honestly can't see the need on a 7x57 and in fact since it is in effect just dead weight and adds length I really can't see it. But, that is just my opinion.

I turned the steps off of one of the short 7 x 57 s and cut a 6.5 x 55 Swede barrel down to 22" and tapered the steps out both on my minilathe. I love my minilathe (and that Swede, I mean Twede IS STILL my most accurate rifle - if you doubt look-up the results of our one and only Postal Match - we should do another in '07 guys). I got the mini-lathe from Homier when they came through town - no shipping and if memory serves $299. Those were the best 299 dollars that ever slipped through my hands.

Of course I've probably spent a few thousand since on do-dads, bar stock, bits, sand paper, and Turks. At least I'm not wasting money.

My wife pointed-out as she surveyed the five Garands that I've somehow wound-up with and had proudly lined-up in the shop after an extended range session today that she's glad I'm not addicted to crack. I better stay away from that stuff.

To get back to the point: I haven't made a muzzle break yet and don't plan to. I tend to remove flash hiders when I've enountered them - a waste of space to me. The 7x57 is a pussycat in wolf's clothing if on the wrong end of it. It don't need no stinking break. I use 4895 or similar in my short barreled 7x57 with little muzzle blast as a result. If blast becomes a problem, just speed up the powder.

I wish I hadn't brought up the muzzlebrake thingy.Your right and there won't be one on my next project.I was thinking of using one of those that turn down to match the barrel diameter just for looks,'cause a 7x57 don't need any recoil reduction.Thanks fellers for setting me straight,and besides,the money that would have been spent on a brake can be put somewhere more important like a better scope.I think blending the steps in like Z said will be the way to go.I'm working on a deal with one of our buddies here on the board to do the barrel,and will leave it up to him how it's done.

All the little kids jump out of bed Christmas morning to see what Santa Anna brought them,and I run straight to my 'puter to see what ya'll are talking about.Good to still have the feeling.Merry Christmas freinds,pals,chums,and buddies.Jerry

sonic1, I'll horn-in for horsefly - they're large ring barrels. They're good ones too, and cheap. The last one I got from Sarco was $35. A bit of external pitting, but mirror bore.

Hey Doble Troble,

I've toying with the idea of getting one of those lathes like yours. I have wondered just how many gun related things were possible with them. Maybe you could share that with us?

J