Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Inletting & Chisels

Ron J

I will be trying out inleting for the first time. I'm using a semi-inlet from Great American Gunstocks. I've read that for inletting the angle on the chisel should be approx 25 degrees. Most for sale are 30. Do you guys change them to a different angle for stockwork?

Not that I'm a stockmaker, but that is woodworking, nonetheless. A steeper angle would allow a better cutting edge, from my thinking, but woodworkers use standard angle chisels all the time with great results. A 25 degree angle will offer less support to the blade, but 5 degrees, in my thinking (I'm not a professional) won't matter.

I think a very sharp chisel of the right size will do just fine. I do notice that my Iyori chisel is vastly superior to my other chisels. I hear the Lie-Nielsen chisels are even better.

Thanks for the input. For now money forced me to start with Craftsman brand. I can see the difference in workmanship and I'll bet they're not tool steel. I'll find out the hardness tomorrow at work. Right before I spend a couple hours lapping the machining marks out!

I was hand cutting dovetails and noticed a big difference between the Iyori and my other chisels. The Iyori cut right through, but the others gave some bounce and crushed wood fibers. Not that I let them go dull, but I can tell the difference. The only problem with Iyori is the handle is pretty long.

The sharper angle will let the chisel to slice through wood better. If you regrind the angle, be careful. Heat can make the cutting edge to brittle and chip.

I use chisels everyday at work, high $ ones to dollor store ones (when cutting nails). The good ones are worth their price. Figure out the size you like to use most and get a good one in that size. Get a couple very cheap ones and try some different tips on them (V point, angle, ect.).

I don't like the electric wet stones for sharpening. A good hand stone or a big electric wet stone is best.

A long handle gives you better control working by hand and short handles are best when using a mallet.

I like to work with hand power as much as I can.

Thanks FC & Skeeter. Everything you're saying is in line with Westbrooks stockmaking book. The handle length deal makes sense. I would not attempt to change the angle with a bench grinder. I'd ruin it. I could use the surface grinder at work in a precision vise and run coolant. However the sides of these chisels are not 90 degrees to the top, so fixturing will be a pain. I'll leave them 30 for now.

Thanks for the input.