Military Firearm Restoration Corner

338-06 Final

z1r

Ok, here's the pics of the .338-06 now that it has been checkered. Only thing left to do is blue the shroud later this year. The original FN style safety I had proved to be soft. I changed the shroud to a true FN left side safety. So it's still in the white.

It's a great shooting rifle capable of putting Hornady 225's into 1.5" groups at 200 yds. Which, for me, is stellar.

IPB Image

And a close up of the checkering.

IPB Image

Man that looks like a Colorado elk buster if I ever saw one.225 gr. bullet,1.50 groups at 200 yards sounds perfect.It's way to purty to be sliding down a mountain though! That bolt shroud looks good just as it is since the bolt body is left bright.What a rifle!!! Jerry

Looks Great. I too want to know about the checkering. One of my New Years Resolution for 08’ will be to learn to checker. 338-06 is a great round, I too would like one. Good luck with it next hunting season. SS

Thanks all, I look forward to using it next, uh, this year in Colorado. Despite a set back or two I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

I wish could say I checkered it but I did not. No time for that yet despite having all the tools. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the names of a few good checkerers.

Can't wait to get moved and settled in so I can finish this .30-06.

IPB Image

I just need to fit the new grip cap, blue the metal, and make the scopemounts. Right now it weighs in at 6.5 lbs. Not bad for a vz25 action and 25" bbl. A good bit lighter than the .338-06. I reckon that it will come in at just under 7.5 lbs scoped.

Very nice on both. They do seem too nice to carry, but I've also grown to feel like using my stuff even if I spent alot of time making it pretty. Might as well - not going to be here forever.

Guys, don't push him to go pro yet, he'll start charging to answer our questions!

Guys, don't push him to go pro yet, he'll start charging to answer our questions!

Advice will always be free, labor however, well......