Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Polishing Chamber?

Kyle

Does anyone have methods to polish the chamber in order to make their action smoother?

I'd love to end up with a very buttery action and a very smooth bolt cycle but I'd thought I'd ask before I decide to do anything that could remove material from the inside of the action.

Kyle,

Polishing the chamber really has nothing to do with the smoothness of the action. Well, extraction can be affected but that is somewhat different. Assuming you mean the action so that the bolt moves fore and aft like butter then it is best done with stones. On Mauser I only do this when I have them heat treated. There are many other things that contribute to the smooth operation of the bolt like the extractor fit, the extractor collar fit and follower spring tension too. Check them all. But do not just slather on valve lapping compound and work the bolt a couple hundered times like I've seen folks suggest.

Assuming you actually mean the chamber that is best done when the barrel is off, chucked ina lathe, with the appropriate abrasive paper, usually no finer than 400 grit.

Does anyone have methods to polish the chamber

At the risk of incurring anyone's wrath.

Drill out the primer of a case matching the chambers caliber and thread it to match a

cleaning rod.

Chuck the cleaning rod in a drill that can turn slow, like a battery operated.

With the case screwed on to the end of the cleaning rod, coat the case body in FINE grinding

compound.

Run the coated case in the chamber only a few seconds at a time, clean and check often

do not push forward so as not to increase head space. In fact it might be a good idea to coat

the shoulder and neck of the case with never seize and only the body of the case with grinding

compound.

Tinker

Kyle,

I have polished the chamber area of my Mosin Nagant using an oversized bronze cleaning brush attached to a section of cleaning rod. Wrap a cleaning patch around the brush (.45 cal in this case) and spin the rod with a drill. I have obtained moderate results with this method. The bolt was hard to open before and now I can usually persuade it on the first attempt.

If you really want a smooth action, you'll need to polish the bearing surfaces Z recommends.

Assuming you actually mean the chamber that is best done when the barrel is off, chucked ina lathe, with the appropriate abrasive paper, usually no finer than 400 grit.

The rifle is not really that bad (like some of the really stiff Mosin bolts) but I feel it could be better. Can you walk me through this process?

Drill out the primer of a case matching the chambers caliber and thread it to match a

cleaning rod.

Chuck the cleaning rod in a drill that can turn slow, like a battery operated.

With the case screwed on to the end of the cleaning rod, coat the case body in FINE grinding

compound.

Run the coated case in the chamber only a few seconds at a time, clean and check often

do not push forward so as not to increase head space. In fact it might be a good idea to coat

the shoulder and neck of the case with never seize and only the body of the case with grinding

compound.

What kind of results did you get when you used this method?