Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Help Deciding!

Kyle

I'm working on a mauser project and right now I'm stuck between two different choices.

I'm working on a couple different rifles but I do want one magnum for any long range hunting I may do. I'm considering both the 7mm Rem Mag and the .300 Win Mag.

I already have a 7mm Rem Mag barrel that is about 23 inches long and is stainless steel but I can pick up a .300 WM barrel rather cheaply as well and sell the 7mm RM barrel. The .300 WM barrel is about 25.5 inches long and has a matte finish but both are in very good condition.

I'm not sure if I should use the 7mm Rem Mag barrel or sell it and get the .300 WM barrel. I know the ballistics for long range shooting favor the 7mm RM over the .300 WM but I'm not sure how large an effect the shorter barrel will have.

So what should I do to end up with the best long range hunting rifle: stick with the 7mm RM in a 23" stainless steel barrel or sell it and go with the 25" blued barrel in .300 WM?

I'll probably use this rifle to hunt whitetail deer at long range and maybe some black bear but there is a chance I'll go on a trip for elk or pronghorn in the future so I'd like to have a capable rifle.

I like the knockdown killing power of 30 cal.,but have a 7mag. that I like.For whitetail,and antelope,mixed in with an elk gun,I'd go with an '06.It'll shoot further than you should be shooting,can be loaded down to varmit loads like 110 gr.,and can be loaded with 180 or 200 gr.for elk.With less recoil,your going to make better long shots than with something that's going to whip your ass.Just my opinion,so have fun deciding.Jerry

I have two 8x57 projects in the works but I did want to use this action to build a magnum, if for nothing else but to have one.

I know barrel length can effect velocity so I'm curious which of the mentioned barrel/caliber combinations would make the most effective long range hunting gun.

The 7mm Rem Mag is a very good choice for long range hunting, as is the 300 Win mag.

I prefer the 7mm because the cheap Winchester White box ammo comes with 175 grain bullets which have a nice sectional density and ballistic coefficient. To get similar "performance" from the 300 you really have to step up to the 190 grain bullets.

As is sits, if you have a magnum, you really need a 26 inch barrel. Anything less and you might as well use a 280 Rem or 30-06.

However, if you ever plan on hunting in bear country, go with the 300 Win Mag, because it makes a bigger hole, and bigger holes bleed more.

Jimro