Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bent Vs Straight Bolt

Kyle

I'm just wondering what the advantages of a bend bolt are to a rifle with a straight bolt are. On nearly every commercial and sporter rifle I've seen the bolt is bent or curved as if to allow the mounting of a scope even if the rifle has a LER scope or iron sites.

Is there some advantage to having a curved bolt rather then a straight military style one that sticks straight out?

If I'm building a rifle with the intent of using either iron sites or a forward mounted scope would there be any reason for me to consider bending the bolt down or would it make more sense just to leave it as is?

A bolt handle bent-down is closer to the right hand for subsequent cyclings of the action, allowing more rapid follow-up shots.

Bent-down allows easier carry and will snag less while walking through brush and getting pulled from out of a truck.

Bent-down fits in scabbards better, whether on a horse or ATV.

Bent-down looks better, allowing a more "symetrical" look to the rifle.

If you like the thing straight, keep it. It won't interfere with open sights or a scope mount.

I doubt most major armies converted to bent-down because it looks better; I'm sure they had an idea on what they wanted.