Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk On A Diet

I got a start on one of my 2007 projects. It will be a Turk sporting a light .308 barrel. Some years back I got a few stocks on sale. One was a ½lb lighter than the others. The slim 308 barrel and light stock was a good start. Next was to put the Turk on a diet. The easy way out would be a blind mag. I like the looks of bottom metal though. I thought I could get 2ozs shaved off. When the grinder stopped, the action is 8ozs lighter.

Caution if anyone tries this. The stock has to fight tight to the mag or rounds will not feed.

Starting weight 46oz

Ending weight 38oz

My best guess to finish weight with a scope on top is 6 ½ lbs. Pretty good for an old all metal warhorse with wood stock.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

you don't have any trouble with cartidges double stacking or getting too far out of whack with no mag sides? i understand you fit the stock tight, but i would think there would be problems with the shoulders of the shells coming out of the stack, if you can visuaalize what i'm saying...

Other than the charger hump only some stoning was done to the receiver. It was in great shape with sharp lines and no rust. I did thin a lot more metal in the tg/mag than the pics show. I have to set it aside for a while. I need to get a stock duplicating router set-up that is half done finished. That will be fun to play with.

Out of the stock you can only load two rounds before they hit the floor. I have fed .243, .300sav, and .308 in the stock with no problems. I was going to leave a strip of metal in the area where the neck/shoulder would be. That would work for lose wood fit or synthetic stock. I just over cut and lost that strip.

Side note: I got my girlfriends 19 y/o son a Turk action and barrel for Christmas. He has been watching, reading books, and working on his while I do mine. He is doing great and having fun.