Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser 24/47 Question

scott63

Scott

Well they aren't entirely different, but they aren't VZ24's.

What they are is a large ring intermediate length action.

The VZ24 is a std. length action.

The 24/47 is pretty much like a Turk 03 except for the barrel shank and charger hump size.

So in other words they are a shorter length action than the VZ24.

Tinker

Tinker is right that they are NOT vz24's, those were called 24/52's. And they are intermediate length. BUT, they are not like Turk 1903's except for bolt length. The Turk 1903 is an oddball that is standard length in action size but intermediate in capacity (mag lenth) and bolt. Not trying to pick nits here, just add a little something.

Anyway, the 24/47's are generally very decent actions. To be prefered over the M48.

Tinker is right that they are NOT vz24's, those were called 24/52's. And they are intermediate length. BUT, they are not like Turk 1903's except for bolt length. The Turk 1903 is an oddball that is standard length in action size but intermediate in capacity (mag lenth) and bolt. Not trying to pick nits here, just add a little something.

Anyway, the 24/47's are generally very decent actions. To be prefered over the M48.

Any other benefits over an M48 other than the wood and bolt handle? Steel, heat treat, better as donor...?

machining quality is typically better with a 24/47 over a 48... than being said, i haven't handled any 48's, but the finish on my 24/47 is failry decent. it has a scrubbed crest, but it will wear a scope anyway so no biggie...

Did a preliminary cosmoline removal from my 24/47 and the bolt is pretty tight even with the gunk gone. There is binding unless the bolt is pressed directly forward. Weirdest thing I've noticed is that the trigger isn't standard, the engagement area was machined away a little almost as if someone was trying to reduce the lock time.

Jimro