Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cancer Update

swamprat

Just back a liitle while ago from the V.A. hospital. Second special test shows a slight decrease in PSA gasses. Now I am scheduled for a biopsy on the 21st of March. It looks like good old Agent Orange is getting us Nam Vets. The biopsy schedule is booked full and late March was the earliest date to get in. Now I get to pick lint from my navel for another 2 months before I know anything. No insurance can't go anywhere else. So grin and bear it. :)

Swamprat

Unfortunately, I hear a prostate biopsy is very painful. I guess you just have to get it done. I've been told by a urologist that all men will get prostate cancer, if they live long enough. He said that it is a slow-growing cancer. I imagine opinions vary on this.

swamprat,

I feel for you brother. I'm at home now recuperating from a radical prostatectomy on Dec. 28th. I didn't serve in Vietnam, but did work with 2,4D and 2,4,5T in the Agchem business years ago. These were components of Agent Orange. My PSA played rollercoaster for 6 years till it started climbing steady last April. I went in for a biopsy in October and it came back cancer. My urologist said it has to do with a combination of heredity(mothers side), testosterone levels and possible exposure to cattle growth hormones thru eating red meat. There are 10 degrees of prostate cancer(Gleason Scale) that relate to how abnormal and aggressive it is with 10 being worst. Mine was a 6. That is about an average type and fairly slow growing. One thing is for sure, if you get it diagnosed early and take care of it there is a high likelyhood of cure. So don't shy away from the biopsy. Its not that bad. If you can tolerate a digital rectal exam you can tolerate a biopsy. I'm 51 years old which is very young to get it but cases are being reported as early as 42! Americans have the highest incidence in the world - over 100 times higher than asians. There are several treatment methods but the most effective is surgery. The other methods involve hormones or radiation, either from an external source(beam radiation) or implantable pellets("seeds"). The main side effect is sexual dysfunction from both methods - up to 50% and a little urinary incontinence(dribbling). Modern nerve-sparing prostatectomies however are improving those odds. I'm about 4 1/2 weeks out of surgery and am almost back to normal except for the sexual issues, but thats improving. It can take up to 14 mos to regain full function so you have to be patient. The way I look at it is that it beats the alternative!

Good luck,

Bob

Tony,

They say the biopsy isn't bad. One Doc told me every male has it just in verying degrees. As long as it is caught early enough (before it goes outside the prostrate) it is curable.

BobVZ,

Thanks for the info and glad you are recovering well. I been told if you have to have cancer this is the one to have for curability. It's just this damn waiting to find out anything thats the tough part.

Jim,

Thanks. How's the turkey clean up going?

Swamprat