Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Getting Closer

usmc0332

Tonight I was at about my 12th set of the year. I was calling with a Knight&Hale cottontail squaller, then with a Crit'r call standard. I was hunting over snow with moonlight/fading daylight to just moonlight over snow. I was blowing across about a 5mph crosswind. I had a coyote across the pond running back and forth in the brush at about 150 yards. I just couldn't get him to step out onto the ice. I was in the brush leaning against a tree. One of these times I will score. Sure is fun though. I think he left when I think my reed was frozen to the body and it sounded like when my daughter was learning clarinet, haha. Last weekend I had one sneak up on me in daylight to about 80 yards. If I had been looking through my scope at that one small spot I would have seen him, but all I saw were tracks. I at least want one hide to try tanning this year. It sure is more fun than sitting on a frozen lake staring down a hole not catching anything. I am using a Winchester Model 670 in .30/06 with Federal 150grn softpoints. This is a nice shooter. Some day I will build a nice .220 Swift. For now I will use what I have. Any suggestions appreciated.

Friday morning I saw 4 coyotes while I was headed to work and thought how stupid it is of me to not be hunting them.They're just like feral hogs,their numbers are out of control here in Texas.I bet they have a fine pelt up there.My brother shot one here years ago that had the best pelt we had ever seen,so he had the pelt soft tanned,put a ring through the nose,and hung it on the wall.Looks good in a mans room but out of place in a house that 98 percent belongs to a woman,decoration wise.He saw a gamewardens cabin in Alaska years ago,and he had every kind of pelt they had up there hanging the same way on the walls and still talks about how good it looked.I need to get me a varmit gun too and get after 'um.I've never owned a small cal. centerfire.Jerry

• 11 months later...

I just had an intersting expierance w/a yote not 30 mins ago. Dogs were barking, so i went out to look. My coon hound had a good sized yote bayed at the end of his chain, not 8 feet from the dog. I ran inside and grabed my shot gun and some 3in slayers, needless to say, no shot. I cannot believe that this yote came in 50 yards from my house. He may have been thinking...hmm walker coon hounds look tasty.

Brenden