Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cetme Build From A Parts Kit

bubbamauser

what can you tell us about the completeness of the parts kit? did you just have to find a receiver? were the parts in usable condition, ie, not worn out? i really like these rifles and wouldn't mind searching one out...

The kit was in good shape with a new barrel , knowing what I know now I would have done it with a G3 parts kit, compliance partsare more available and g3 US trigger parts can be found pretty cheap, Cetme US made trigger parts are non existent. almot all of the parts are interchangeable between G3 and cetme except for the trigger componets(you can swap out the whole group not individual parts) trunion, bolt carrier and bolt. My Cetme kit came from Centerfire Systems, FAC Supply has G3 kits for about the same price. Remember the trigger group box must be cut and weded to make semi along with some mods to the remaining parts. My cocking handle, stock set and magazine are for a g3, but I like it

Roy

i see the G3 kits on FAC for $129... other than a receiver, what parts would a guy need? the FAC site doesnt list what in their "kit" and durn it, i am starting to like these rifles!

http://facsupply.com/shop/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=7748

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

well, i jumped in with both feet and got a parts kit from gunbroker and the stainless cast receiver from century. I have some cleaning and modifying to do, but looks like fun!

p.s. dont tell my wife....

Be sure and find someone who knows what they're doing to get help if you need. Century is the World's worst about producing receivers that aren't quite up to spec. I have a Century FAL receiver that I'm trying to build a kit on and I keep finding little flaws in it. If it weren't for the FAL Files, I'd surely be lost!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

so far the guys over at cetmerifles.com (militaryrifles.com really) have posted about everything a guy needs. when i hit trouble, i have an HK 91 next door i can examine. i know they say the cast stainless receiver is bit oversized, but first i am interested in modifying the "bad" parts... oh, and getting this beast clean! man, and i thought cosmo'd mausers were bad! sheesh!

bubba and sonic, how much work did either of you do yourselves on your rifles? pressing barrels, welding cocking tubes, soldering triple frames... i know i CAN do these myself, but i dont want to screw anything up too badly.

i bubba"ed it all myself ...on the receiver all you need is to bend it over a 3/4" rod...i have a 1" thick steel table that had a 1"

hole in it , set front bushing over it dropped barrel in ..sat a socket on the barrel with a 6 ton bottle jack..3 pieces of 3" angle iron ...welded it over the top ....real poor boy style ...worked great ....the barrel press is the key to the whole gun....it must be right on to get the correct bolt head gap...wire welded the front trunnion in ...gas weled the cocking tube...need the weather to warmup so i spray the gunkote..this link has lots of info..

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=296

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts...D=5794&PN=1

thanks sonic. i'm all over militaryfireams in the last week. i have a cast stainless receiver, so no bending for me! YEA! but barrel pressing and trunnion/cocking tube welding i'll have to get comfortable with.

heath

I used a stainless cast receiver so I didn't have to bend ,it but I lived up to my name on the rest of it. My receiver was actually undersized for the trunnion and cocking tube. I opened it up with a dremmel wheel real slowly until I could tap it in Sonic is right the head spacing is the most important thing with these I had to press the barrel back and forth more than I can remember until I got the feeler guage to just fit

Roy

Mine was a centerfire inc. kit with new barrel they had about a year ago, one already drilled would have saved me some headaches with the headspacing. I have heard alot of people turn the barrel upside down and redrill to fix the century bolt grinding headspace method. this definetly wasn't an AK or mauser build but it is diferent enough from everything else to be really interesting, have fun and post your pics. Sonic I love your press set up mine is 2" steel gas pipe welded together as a frame with a 12 ton HF jack.

724wd it's a shame cetmrrifles.com died the replacement site is okay but the owner of cetmerifles (Perro del diablo)was the best resource for me building this. everything on militaryrifles about cetme's is cut and paste from his posts on Cetmerifle. stick to his and Rusty pirates advice and you'll be fine.

Roy

what were your expectations?

some type of group that will not make me want to wrap the damn thing around a tree.............been through 2 scopes, 2 mounts, filled the reciever for the plunger, removed the picantinny rail and fabricated rings to fit the mount, scope don't budge and all it will do is shoot flyiers..................