Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Accurate No 5 Pistol Powder

BEJ

Yea I used alot of it when it was less expensive [i feel like a victim of bait-n-switch now that the prices have soared] Never did get a really good load for 357, nor the 45.. In 45 #7 works good! I am currently using #5 for the 32 H&R mag. According to my notes, I had best luck w #5 in the 45 w/ 200 gr. cast bullets @ 8.2 gr. For the 357 the only load that showed potential was 8.0 gr. of #5 w/ a 150 gr cast hollow point w/ GC. HTH. MV

Thanks for the replies. I've used W231, Unique, Titegroup and am currently using Bullseye which I find to be a pretty dirty powder. I was looking for a clean burning powder that also has some room for loading heavier bullets. I know a lot of people swear by W231 and Titegroup, but neither powder can reach military ball velocities with a 230gr FMJ. I see, on the Alliant website, that they claim Unique is now "cleaner burning". Might have to try some, again.

MV - How clean burning was No7 for you ??

Loaded up some .357, 125gr jacketed heads in front of 7.5gr of Bullseye. After a hundred rounds, I looked at the gun and finally figured out it's the cast heads that cause 99% of the "dirt". I've never shot such fouling heads. Anyway, the gun was virtually "wipe it down" clean with minimal fouling. Think it's time to make the switch to all jacketed heads and "shoot less, but enjoy it more".

As Long as it is "fluffy" I don't worry a bit about it. If it becomes "streaked" then you need to brush. If it fouls quickly , my bet is that all of the jacketed bullet fouling is not out of it! Jkt fouling is harder to remove by bunches and hours!!! I'll keep shootin' more!! Good luck. and don't give up till accy. falls off... MV