Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Try These?

usmc0332

http://www.jdcomponents.com/index.html

I have yet to shoot a coyote. I bet these would do less damage than a 150grn in .30'06. I will wind up with a suitable rifle, but will have to make due with what I have for now.

I shot some Remington factory sabots in 30/30 many years ago. I don't remember alot about them but do recall the point of impact and accuracy being about the same as 150 or 170 gr factory load I was shooting at the time. A freind of mine fooled with these and he claimed some remarkable velocities shooting them through a crony.

I recall when the factory sabot ammo was introduced the old BATF via the Carter White House federal bureaucracy tried to ban them. BATF claimed there was no way to link an expended bullet to a gun unless they were able to find the sabot.

Sounds like an interesting project, keep us advised of the results. You're welcome to come to my neighborhood with your sabot loads and do some cat hunting!!

I wish I lived in your neighborhood. I loved Arizona, I just couldn't live on the wages. Today it was 13 degrees and it almost feels warm in Minnesota. My wife is going to PHX next week to visit her parents, I am a little jealous.

I figured for sure that somebody here was using these sabots.

My Crossman 760 air rifle thinned the barn cat population frequently when I was a kid. I have heard that a small balloon over the muzzle works like a silencer.

I have used quite a few of them in the past.. especially when the youngest was still small.. less kick, but great "effect"! I'll take a minute to look up some "data" if you need it [308].

BTW "silencing" is as much a matter of the sound barrier, as blast... sonic boom ya know! Anything sub-sonic is fairly easily "silenced"... Remember the Whisper?... MV

• 9 months later...