Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Has No One Here Heard Of The Zumbo Blog?

swamp_thing

In case no one has, here is the article. It has cost him his ties with Remington, Cabelas, and many more. You should maybe check out how this guy feels about gun owners that don't fit his ideals.

quote:http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

quote:

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

There are many posts on some of the other sites concerning this and the landslide it has created. swamp_thing

I have no use for the so called assault rifles either,BUT,weren't all military rifles considered assault rifles in their time.M1 Garand and carbines certainly were,and I want no one to tell me I can't have one.The AK and AR's give me the wollies and make me mad when I see them because of always seeing them on the news being held by diaper heads shooting at Americans.I have friends that drive 3/4 to Dodge and Ford diesel,4x4,double cab pickups to work every day when a Toyota Carolla would do the same job.My favorite color is blue,and if it's not yours,your wrong! Jerry

I have no use for the so called assault rifles either.......weren't all military rifles considered assault rifles in their time

Jerry

The term "Assault Rifle" was originally used by WW2 Germany and Hitler gets the credit for coming up with it. Wish I could think of the German word, I think it was sturmgewer or something similiar that translated into the English word assault or the phraise assault rifle.

The phraise was perverted by the anti's the same way Saturday Night Special was used in the early 70's. Don't think for one minute hunting rifles are exempt from the perversion, the anti's refer to them as sniper guns and 50 cal guns are called anti-aircraft cannons. Irritates me big time when I hear a gun person use the phraise Saturday Night Special or Assault Rifle as acceptable English.

Horsefly I agree. You made the statement that all of the collectables were considered "assault" at one time even if that name wasn't applied. I'm sure that the lowly bolt was considered a vast improvement over the Lever. Seems like Mr. Zumbo is ill. Fear being the disease. Fear of a word.

When I consider the constitution and our right to bear arms and field a militia, I have to think that the "Fathers" didn't invision the arming of the masses with a lesser firearm than the military of the day carried. That's a nice check and balance. I'm afraid that we all, and I'm including myself, fallen prey to the endless propoganda (to some degree). I've rethought things and wonder if each home shouldn't have 1 or 2 assault rifles per person. That way everyone can respect everyone else. Check and Balance.

Now. I am at present a hypocrit, not owning even one assault rifle. I'm just trying to think in the same direction of our "Fathers" who had just won freedom from tyrrany.

Any thoughts?

LC

"I have friends that drive 3/4 to Dodge and Ford diesel,4x4,double cab pickups to work every day when a Toyota Carolla would do the same job.My favorite color is blue,and if it's not yours,your wrong! Jerry "

I see more people driving SUVs to work here, when a sedan would be better. But then, I forget they have to pick up the kiddies from school (it matters not that a school bus would deliver them safe and sound also). But they have a lifestyle to live up to.

Hell, everybody else is buying an SUV, so I have to have one too! Sound familiar with "keeping up with the Jones?"

If you are a taxpayer (and who ain't?) you are paying for the school buses that deliver kids to the country. Hell, they deliver them inside the city limits today! Nobody has to have their parents take them to school, or Heaven forbid, walk to school!

So, who uses them? Answer: Kids who's parents haven't bought them a 4X4 for their own. Or who are too young to know how to drive (but that don't stop some).

Look at the school bus--is it full? Probably not, because mommie has picked up her kiddies, or her kiddies have grown up to their own gas guzzling vehicles (whatever they may be).

The lifestyle has to be maintained, that is above all else.

I won't even mention that I had my own hotrod when I was a junior in high school. But I had my father's farm gas tank to fuel it from (when he wasn't looking).

That tractor sure used a lot of gas!

BTW, the term "assault rifle" is overused today, and a lot of people bought one just because the government was going to ban them.

Am I wrong?

fritz

Now that I live in CO, a relatively free state, I look forward to assaulting some prarie dogs with my rifles. Heck, even the new, to me, AR15 I inherited.

I've personally never had much use for semi automatic rifles of most kind, except for the ubiquitous semi auto .22 LR. I prefer single shots, lever guns & bolt actions. But one thing that I know for sure is that united we stand, divided we will fall! Besides, it would be a pretty dull place if we all thought alike.