Military Firearm Restoration Corner

S&w Model 10

hrc

I have an old military and police S&W model 10. It is in decent shape and the trigger pull is very crisp, a lot nice than my other .38. At about 10yds shooting single action I could cover the group with my palm, double action with my hand. The only problem is that the group is about 4 to 5" left of the point of aim(try hitting a pop can). Everyone who shot it had about the same error. The barrel and it crown look pretty good. With fixed sights, what if anything can be done? I thought of removing the front sight and making a new one for it.

Why not try bending the front sight to the right just a tad.

Swamprat

If you are going to adjust the front sight, it needs to move to the left to move the group to the right.

Fixed sight guns will always have problems of this sort. You might get a different point of impact with a different load. .38 special from the factory commonly comes in loads ranging from 110 to 158 grains, with higher and lower loads to be found if you look hard enough. Also, there are standard velocity, target velocity, and Plus-P loadings. Try a few more loads and see if you get lucky. If not, you can always trade the gun in on a Model 15 with adjustable sights!

Clemson

I fixed my problem....... sort of. I assembled a couple of junker pistols, the old Smith included and went to the gun shop. The funny this is that the were having a sale on Smith and Wesson guns, new and used. Nothing really caught my eye at first. After looking for a bit, I walked out with a Ruger Vaquero in 45LC. (fixed sights!) I had been wanting one, the price was right , and I couldn't go home with the stuff I brought. With this pistol I can hit a 6" steel plate at 15 yards most of the time. So the end result is that now I have a pistol that hits where I aim. That problem was easier to fix than I thought.

You, sir, have the disease! :lol:

The Ruger is a very nice gun. I have shot one, and I can say that it is quite well-made and darned attractive, too. My old Single Six Convertible is the only Ruger single action that I own, but it has been a good one for me.

Congrats........

Clemson