Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Still Cold

ken98k

Tanana Valley, ..I was there in the late 70's for mountain warfare school.

One day you could wear a shirt and the next day snow!!

Still Tanana Valley and Black rapids were very beautiful.

Karl

I spend usually most of August and September in the mountains near Black Rapids Glacier.

It's not uncommon to get snowed on in August. Many sheep hunts have been ruined that way.

kenak2,

At least the temps stay pretty much the same (cold). Take South Texas in Feb. Yesterday it got up into the upper 90s, and I had to turn on the AC. Then around bedtime, it was 40 degrees and I had to turn on the heater. This morning it was still cool enough to need a jacket, then this afternoon it got back to near 90. I heard that it was snowing in the Panhandle and 100 degrees in Laredo.

It gave me a chance to finally wash that old Carhart, something it ain't seen in two years.

Come to think of it, I ain't washed the truck in two years either. But it's the same thing when riding in it----heater in the morning and AC in the afternoon.

You don't have to wait long for the weather to change in Texas.

fritz

The price that has to be paid to live in a great place get high, don't they? The cold gets really old after a while. I miss South Dakota, but I don't miss brutal winters. Do you find enduring the winters worth it?

The cold finally broke this afternoon. It was -45 when I went to work at 6:30 am. It -30 at noon and it's now -5 and snowing a little.

Thank god for clouds!

Those few weeks in August and September are very costly.

Is it worth it? I ask myself that frequently.

When I went back east last summer the answer was "hell yes".

When I was fixing an old piece of junk boiler and thawing frozen pipes this morning the answer was

"I must be outa my f-----g mind".

We got our first real snowstorm saturday. I had 14+ in my driveway. I live in East central MN, in SE MN they had 29.5 inches. Temps are not far from +30 degrees though. We have had a pretty easy winter. Over the last month we have had around -10 give or take in the mornings, then possibly warming to 20. In the woods we had a few inches of snow. It was enough to take more energy to walk in, but snowshoes were not needed. It has been pretty easy for a beginner varmint caller to move around. Yesterday, I wish I had a chance to go snoeshoe some trails. I bet those 'yotes would have taken an easy trail, even if it was more dangerous. Kenak, have you ever chased wolves around? I dream of Alaska. My wife is presently in AZ. That is where she wants to return to. Quick, somebody give me the winning lottery numbers so i can have both!!!

I live in East central MN, in SE MN they had 29.5 inches. ........... My wife is presently in AZ. That is where she wants to return to. Quick, somebody give me the winning lottery numbers so i can have both!!!

Now that is just what we need here, more snowbirds!! At this time of year everytime there is a traffic jam, there is a Canadian, Minnesota, South or North Dakota licence plate leading the parade. Last year we had a serious accident with fatalities on the freeway. A car load of snowbirds traveling in the HOV lane during rush hour decided to stop and look at the Saguaro cacti on a mountain. Behind them was a mini-van load of teenagers on their way home from school followed by a Hummer traveling 80+. The 80+ female snowbird was quoted saying something like to DPS "they shouldn't have put such a pretty mountain there if they didn't want people to stop and look at it".

I was in an accident apx 5 years ago. A snowbird was confused on the freeway. The highway sign with an arrow pointing to Tucson to the left and Los Angeles to the right was confusing, so she just stopped in the middle of the freeway. I stopped in time and was harmlessly tapped from behind by a semi but the four cars behind us all collided with a pick-up going into the wall to keep from rear ending two kids in a street legal fiberglass sand rail. All the elderly snowbirds left in an ambulalance even though their vehicle wasn't touched. They were scared shootless by the semi driver screaming at them with a tire knocker in hand.

We got our first real snowstorm saturday. I had 14+ in my driveway. I live in East central MN, in SE MN they had 29.5 inches. Temps are not far from +30 degrees though. We have had a pretty easy winter. Over the last month we have had around -10 give or take in the mornings, then possibly warming to 20. In the woods we had a few inches of snow. It was enough to take more energy to walk in, but snowshoes were not needed. It has been pretty easy for a beginner varmint caller to move around. Yesterday, I wish I had a chance to go snoeshoe some trails. I bet those 'yotes would have taken an easy trail, even if it was more dangerous. Kenak, have you ever chased wolves around? I dream of Alaska. My wife is presently in AZ. That is where she wants to return to. Quick, somebody give me the winning lottery numbers so i can have both!!!

Yes, I see wolves occaisionally but it's hard to find someone that'll go hunting with me this time of year.

In the photo I'm the one on the left. If I look like I'm disgusted it's because I called in 5 wolves and the hunter only got one.post-200-1172623529_thumb.jpg

Well the break from the cold lasted 1 day.

This week it's been -30 to -40 at night and warming up to -15 or so during the day.

This morning my yahoo home page says it's -38. The thermometers on my front porch show -44.

This is really getting old!

Kenny

We got another 16 inches of snow since thursday, tho the temps have warmed to the 20's. Snow this late in the winter is not quite as bad as it is early. In a month it will all be turned into mud. I hope to go snowshoe a coyote area I know of tomorrow. I might get lucky and deep snow might tilt the scale in my favor. I haven't worn those in about 20 years. Should be fun.

AzRedneck, If I could have made a living down there I would still be down there. I lived there for 4 years. Several times I worked 2 full-time jobs+ and still qualified for foodstamps. I knew I could do better in MN, so reluctantly I returned in '95. I loved it there, tho the winter smog and snowbirds were not my favorite. I drove a car with a full frame and expected to get into an accident. I was crazy back them and rode motorcycle in traffic a lot. It has grown too much since I left to really want to live there now. It sure is nice to visit tho.