Military Firearm Restoration Corner

One Of My Favorite Charities- List Yours

FC

Autism speaks.

My twin boys are both autistic.

It's an epidemic without a known cause. An estimated 1:150 kids born today will become autistic. 75% are boys. When I was born the disease was rare. There's something going on that isn't being adequately researched. This problem is bigger than AIDS, but the parents involved are too busy trying to get through each day to make much of a fuss.

The disease (condition) is being finally reasearched. But the cause has not yet been found. Maybe, in the past, there were cases that were not diagnosed properly. But hopefully we can learn more about this disease in the future.

We do need to spend more of our time (and dollars) on research for this.

fritz

I'm not a Shriner, but I'd have to say that when I worked at their burn hospital, I gained a lot of respect for them. Those kids lack for nothing. Finest equipment, no expense spared, no cost to the patient or family. Charter flight to go pick them up if needed, family member stays there for free. It certainly isn't about clown suits and parades. The man running the hospital was probably the best I have ever seen at keeping someone alive.

I'm not a Shriner, but I'd have to say that when I worked at their burn hospital, I gained a lot of respect for them. Those kids lack for nothing. Finest equipment, no expense spared, no cost to the patient or family. Charter flight to go pick them up if needed, family member stays there for free. It certainly isn't about clown suits and parades. The man running the hospital was probably the best I have ever seen at keeping someone alive.

Not exactly like Walter Reed Hospital, is it?

fritz

Thanks, flaco.

They're still a joy and my wife and I still feel blessed, but it gets hard sometimes not being able to communicate with them efficiently.

This situation has a lot to do with how I got into sporterizing Mausers and other related projects. I can work on things while I'm "on duty" (the boys "help" me in the shop) and when I get a break I'm fortunate that the range is only a few minutes away - so I can try things out in a few hours.

A day hunting has become a luxury - but we still have plenty of deer to eat - thank goodness for the overpopulation we have here on the East Coast.

The only think I'd suggest to those assembled here is that if you see a child in public (especially a boy) in full melt-down - don't immediatley suspect bad parents and an unruly child. The world is a very frustrating place for someone who doesn't understand it and can't talk about it. These kids are incredably smart, but also incredably incapable of relating their most basic needs and desires. And taking a whiz on the sidewalk when you've got to go just seems like the right thing to do when no one can explain to you why it might be better to wait.

My favorite charity was St Mary's Food Bank until they became a grocery store for illegals. As a federal employee I used to donate the equivalent of two hours pay every two weeks to different local charities. Now most of the local Phoenix and Arizona charities, especially the Catholic organizations are no more than freebie support for illegals.

I unknowingly made several donations through St Mary’s to Chicanos por la casa (Chicanos for the cause). It was supposed to help people in temporary trouble keep their homes by paying enough and make arraignments to keep their loans out of foreclosure. They used construction tradesman as examples that might be out of work temporally. After I heard from a representative from the Maricopa County AFL-CIO Family Fund where the money was really going I never gave them another 2 cents. The majority of the money I was told, was going to pay apartment and trailer rent for illegals.

After my mother died I continued her donations to Paralyzed Veterans. My mother used to do volunteer work for paralyzed veterans during WW2 at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. My mom as an aspiring actress did some parts in movie shorts for war bonds and toward the end of the war did a few for various veteran organizations. The only down side is my name is now on a hit list and I get a lot of junk mail from numerous veteran organizations. Some have a way of making me feel guilty by sending little trinkets like key chains, small pocket knives or personalized return address labels. No way can I afford to give to each and every one of them.

I give every year to a local organization that provides glasses, hearing aids and some dental care to the working poor and their family. Dr’s donating their time started the charity. As far as I know it hasn’t been corrupted by handouts to illegals. To qualify, at least one member of the family has to be gainfully employed and depending on family size, making apx less than 15,000-20,000 annually. I referred a family there when I was a mailman. Mom and their four kids got eye exams and glasses for something dirt cheap like 5-10 bux a head. They also got a basket with food and gift certificates for children’s shoes when they picked up the glasses.

I let mrs fritz do the donating to charities. I just look over the bank statement every month, and never question her about the money she donated to the charities.

I donate to the USA Shooting Team (because our government does not, as opposed to other governments) help them. And our shooters have been doing a damned good job, albeit without the support of their government.

But I have cut all ties to the NRA, and their political interests. When they endorsed Rick Perry for governor, that did it.

BTW, the NRA does not answer your letters. Instead you get another letter asking for more money.

What I really despise is a friendly local dealer who orders a part that my Class 03 license does not permit--and then adds the NRA donation to my bill. I would rather just give it to him!

"The only down side is my name is now on a hit list and I get a lot of junk mail from numerous veteran organizations."

Don't feel alone---we all do. What I despise is the junk phone calls. Here's what to do--let them begin their spiel, then hit "pound" several times in rapid sucession. It is supposed to screw up their dialing system.

fritz

well folks, out here we donate to the poor working class of shmucks. namely me. working 2 jobs and the wife working,sending the daughter to grad school, no funs left to donate. as for them cell calls. when i get one at work i just set the phone on the hoist an' start taking off wheels with the impact gun. gets really loud. if we had funs to donate we would definitely donate to childrens hospitals, thanks for listening, dave :lol: