Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sarco Barrel

scott63

Sarco is advertising .30 cal FN barrels with a 1/12 twist, unchambered and straight diameter. Has anyone used/bought one of these? what weight of bullet is that twist good for? I see most 30 cal barrels are 1/10 twist......Thanks...........Scott

Sarco is advertising .30 cal FN barrels with a 1/12 twist, unchambered and straight diameter. Has anyone used/bought one of these? what weight of bullet is that twist good for? I see most 30 cal barrels are 1/10 twist......Thanks...........Scott

I haven't looked at the ad but you might want to drop them a line and see if these are machine gun barrels. Might be long and heavy and with the twist rate likely not any good for lightweight varmit type bullets. My guess a 180gr or heavier bullet would work best.

I might be right, I might be wrong, I might be crazy, but if I intend to use 165 or lighter bullets in a 30 cal I use a 1/12. Heavier than that and I use 1/10. The 1/10 is pretty much standard for '06 and larger. The 1/12 is standard for .308 where the manufacturers are willing to stock two twists in one caliber. 1/14 is not all that uncommon in 30 caliber either. LL

I haven't looked at the ad but you might want to drop them a line and see if these are machine gun barrels. Might be long and heavy and with the twist rate likely not any good for lightweight varmit type bullets. My guess a 180gr or heavier bullet would work best.

They're supposed to be barrels for sniper rifles........

In both my 6mm'06 and one of my 22-250's, heavier bullets do not shoot well, supposedly since my rifling twist is too slow! IE If the twist was 1:8 instead of 1:12 it would stabilize heavy bullets... But this is just my experience w/ all of 2 barrels... MV

Maybe this Brownell's cheat sheet will help. Those guys at Brownell's are good. I buy from them whenever it doesn't make obvious sense to buy them somewhere else. They define customer service - but you do pay for it - and in some cases it's worth it.

I would actually prefer a 1:12 .308 barrel to a 1:10. I wish that I could shoot a 1:12 in Garand matches. I'm sure that the 152 gr M2 bullets would fly out of a 1:12 better than the stock 1:10.