Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cancer Test Results

swamprat

Went today for results of prostrate biopsy taken 21 March. I have prostrate cancer with a Gleason rating of 8 (10 being the worst). Have started taking drugs to stop testosterone production. Prostrate cancer feeds on testosterone. I'm scheduled for a CT scan next thursday. Once they know cancer is not in my bones a treatment program can be set up.

For you Nam Vets, prostrate cancer has been linked to exposure to Agent Orange (I was and now I have it). If you are over 50 get yourself tested.

Swamprat

Good luck Swamp.

We shall pray for you.

The Hippy found a herbal remedy for me that they use in Germany

called "Saw Pallmetto" -- Call 1-800-567-8122 and ask for "Prostaplex"..

It cost about 30 bucks for 90 tablets. It helps keep the prostate its normal size. Google "Saw Palmetto" for more thorough information. But be aware that it can report a false reading on a prostate test. So inform your doctor if you take it.

Karl

I'm sorry to hear that. Did the biopsy hurt pretty bad?

The biopsy itself was no more than a flick on the wrist feeling (when they took the samples). However that damn probe left me feeling like I had been gang raped by bull elephants. What was a real problem was the antibiotics I took afterwards. They took out the good bacteria in my digestive track and I had the runs for 10 days.

Swamprat

Don't know if you've already seen a nutritionist about your diet, cancer treatment can really take a toll on the body. Make sure you have a well balanced diet isn't a guarantee, but it will help increase your chances. Fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains.

Best of luck, and you will be in my prayers.

Jimro

Swamprat, I am praying for you also. But from what I have gathered about you over the years here, I feel you are going to do whatever it takes to beat this thing. Many men get prostate cancer, my old ag teacher in high school once pulled us boys aside and told us about the prostate. He said that many of us will have problems with it before we are done.

He said a prostate operation is in the cards for most of us, and it don't come from sex. He said it can come from riding the seat of a tractor many years. My father had his operation and that's when I took over the farm operation. He was out of service for about 6 months, and a farm cannot go that long without someone running it.

I have seen men commonly get the operation at my age. But not all are cancerous. Cancer still has not been fully understood, and I am not sure about the Agent Orange causing prostate cancer. I do know I have seen my share of fellow military men suffering from lung cancer, those who were exposed to the stuff.

And to think that in 1970, they were distributing the surplus Agent Orange to farmers here to kill brush with. I had an offer to pick up as much as I wanted from a county commissioner barn. I declined, and a few years later the facts about the stuff began to surface.

Hang in there.

fritz

Swamp,

Two in my family have overcome this very problem and went on to lead long happy lives. You will too!

My hunting buddy went through prostrate cancer surgery about 10 years ago and has done fine ever since.One thing real possitive for him was,it made him quit smoking and take better care of himself.Quitting cigs freed up a hand to hold a beer can,so I guess that's not such a good thing.I heard years ago that at least 80 percent of all men will have trouble of some kind with their prostrate.I'd be stupid for me to tell you to hang tough or any of the chinns up stuff after all you've already been through,but will say I wish you the best,wish I was close enough to hang out with you while your stove up,and let you know that if there's anythging I or any of the cats here can do to help,let me know.Keep us informed Swamprat.

Swamp,

Two in my family have overcome this very problem and went on to lead long happy lives. You will too!

Swampie I have to agree with Z. My uncle recently succumbed to cancer. He was 89, a WW 2 Vet, the prostrate cancer was diagnosed in his 50's He came out of retirement, worked into his 70's and flew around in his airplane untill he was almost 80. Had he not been with the Kaiser HMO he might still be around today.

swamprat,

I am truly sorry to hear of your prostate cancer. You may remember my reply to your original message a month or so ago. The good news is it ain't a 10! My advice is to get your butt to John's Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland ASAP. They have the best prostate cancer program in the world and Dr. Arthur Burnette, in their urology department, is the best in the world. My total surgery bill including 2 days in the hospital amounted to less than $9,000. If you need radiation after surgery, you can get that done at the VA. Dr. Burnette's office number is: (410) 614-3986. PM me if you need any help.

Bob