Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No-good Barrel Removal

RifleMan

I'm feeling very close to removing an extremely stubborn Bosnian M48 barrel (the thing is shot out, AND badly pitted).

I've tried the basic stuff, next will be epoxy, followed by pipe wrench. I'm using pine tar (not rosin) to act as sticky stuff for the wooden blocks (Wheeler vise). This is a huge PITA.

Anyway, after I get this barrel off, it will be essentially worthless to me. The only thing I can think it would be good for would be to practice with on a lathe (that I don't yet own). Assuming that I don't want to keep it, how do you recycle these things? Can I just take it to the local recycle center, or what?

Anyone have any experience here?

Good idea on the tool making. But I've got two of these blasted out things. What about the other, and what about the leftover after parting off the "tool" portion?

Anyone? Or am I obsessing about this? :blink: I just know that my garage is very small, and knowing me, I could fill it with crappy barrels that I take off of good receivers.

Well....

"One Day" once I've learned how and acquired / built the equipment, I intend on turning my

POS 8mm's into bigger bores as in 35 Wheelans. That is assuming that I EVER learn to rerifle.

It is nice to dream or at least 'rationalize' not throwing out old crappy barrels.

Tinker

• 2 weeks later...

Mauser barrels are hard enough that you could probably use them for jack handles, pry bars, or go-kart axles.

They might also be candidates for reboring if their exterior isn't beat all the smithereens too. You can have a barrel rebored for roughly the same cost as a new barrel and this would be threaded. And...if the rebore didn't work, you wouldn't be out anything more than a shot out barrel.

I have an wheeler barrel vise and had two M48 that was tight to get off. This what I did. I drill the holes to 3/4" in the blocks and then used expoxy to glue the barrel in the block and let set overnight lightly in the vise. Need to turn the receiver to the left at an 45 degree angle. Then I tighten up the nuts on the vise and place the action wrench on the action. I take an long pipe and place it over the wrench and while the wife was pulling down alittle to give it tension, I took an 3lb deadblow hammer, which I found to be very helpful from time to time, and hit it hard near end of the wrench. Pop. goes the action off the barrel. :lol: Wife like it when I asked her for help when I working on my rifle.

spec.4

I use my removed, worn-out mauser barrels as twist stakes on a corner post brace, where you need to twist the wires that go from corner post to brace post, then secure the stake to the pipe brace between the posts.

Some day, many years from now, someone will notice my corner post braces and wonder just what those are. That is the way the world is going, my friends.

fritz

• 2 weeks later...
Heck I've got about 10 or 15 "jack handles" laying around, the pipe wrench marks don't even hurt there performance

I have tried using them for jack handles, but the damned things just don't fit most of my jacks. And a handle from one jack will not fit the other jacks. I usually end up using a big screwdriver to jack with.

Now, that may sound different to someone who is not familiar with jacks, but I mean to interject no sexual meaning to it.

fritz