Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Strange Vz 24

karlunity

Folks.

I have a very strange Vz24.

It won't group at all from sandbags not even at 50 meters.

YET, shooting offhand at 100 meters, it will put all 5 rounds rapid fire in the black.

It does tend to V but the rounds are in the black.

This is a very strange rifle.

I had to counterbore it as inspite of having very strong rifling, the muzzle was mush.

I sporterized the stock, put on a turned down bolt and a mojo rear sight so I am not surprised that it shoots well offhand, but why won't it group from the sandbags?

Any ideas???

Karl

There may have been a warp in the space-time continuim where you set up your bags. I suggest finding a different range. These warps aren't something to mess with - more dangerous than excessive headspace for sure.

Another possibility is that there was a series of extremely short earthquakes that inexplicably occurred simultaneously with your shots from the bench. You must not have noticed due to the recoil.

biggrin.gif (sorry I'm not more help).

Realistically, I suppose that there might be a bedding problem that only becomes a problem when you have the rifle set-up on bags. Maybe try different different bag placement?

If she won't group off bags then the most likely culprit is bedding. How the rifle rests in the bags gives your barrel different vibrations than when you are firing offhand, it is the most logical explanation if the rifle is the culprit.

Did you glass bed the reciever and first few inches of barrel?

Jimro