Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Vice Design Questions

Bennypapa

I am making a barrel vice out of 1.5" sq steel. I have 2 pieces drilled and one tapped so they bolt together fine.

I bought some 1.5" round aluminum to make bushings from and have come to a bit of a design stagnation.

I need to bore out the hole for the bushings but I am not real sure what size to bore it to. I believe I need to bore it under sized to give it clamping power on the slitted bushing but HOW MUCH UNDERSIZED?

Any ideas or suggestions about the sizing and fit of the bushings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bennypapa

Bore the bushing the exact size of the barrel segment that you are clamping. If the barrel is tapered, taper the hole in the bushing. When you split the bushing there will be enough material removed that it will clamp tightly on the barrel. Rosin will provide the rest of the holding power.

Good luck! (Fun, ain't it?)

Clemson

Take a plain brown grocery bag, cut two shims from it. Place these between the two pieces of steel that are to become your vice. Bolt the pieces back together with the shims between them. Now bore to 1.5". This will give you the correct radius on your hole, and still allow enough space for clamping. If you cannot drill an accurately sized hole, increase the number of shims. LL

Take a plain brown grocery bag, cut two shims from it. Place these between the two pieces of steel that are to become your vice. Bolt the pieces back together with the shims between them. Now bore to 1.5". This will give you the correct radius on your hole, and still allow enough space for clamping. If you cannot drill an accurately sized hole, increase the number of shims. LL

Excellent.

I'll be boring on my lathe so the hole should be nice and round. I'll get out the micrometer and measure the aluminum before I start just to be sure.

Now I have to get my 4jaw chuck fitted to its new back plate and I'll be off and running.

Thanks,

Bennypapa

I made my blocks out of 1 1/2" stock too. I used two pieces about 4" long.

I drilled holes in the ends for the clamping bolts and then bolted them together with washers between the blocks before chucking it in the minilathe to bore the barrel hole (I don't remember right now how big of a hole I reamed, but I bet it was 1 1/2").