Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bauer .25 Acp

KodiakHunter

A couple of years ago, a lady friend of mine gave me a Bauer .25 auto. She had told me that it wouldn't fire. I tried to put a round through it, and lo & behold it wouldn't fire. (Now keep in mind, she had just picked it up from a "gunsmith") I took it apart, & just put everything into a little cloth pouch. Well, today I stumbled across it & decided to see if I could find a firing pin? for it to make it work. I couldn't tell if the pin part inside the spring was broken or not, so I cleaned everything up & reassembled it. Well, I stuffed 4 rounds into the clip & went out back, and chambered a round & BANG! I had figured that when the smith put it back together, he failed to set the notch on the bottom of the firing pin into the sear. The problem I encountered was that the second round came up sideways & jammed. I cleared the action, replaced the round into the clip, and the remaining rounds all fired perfectly.

At this point, my question is this: If I polish the feed ramp, will that cure the problem?

You might run a box of shells through it and not have another hang up.Polishihg it sure wouldn't hurt.One thing to remember when shooting a small blowback action pistol,keep your wrist stiff.They need the help from the solid grip to help the recoil load the next round.Sorta like bouncing a basketball on dirt and concrete,you get a bigger bounce on the solid surface.Sometimes the spring in the mag needs to be messed with.Maybe stretch it or cut a tad off it,but I bet if you just shoot it some more,it'll probably be ok.Jerry

I agree with Jerry.

Clean and lube..put a box of rounds through it.

If you have no problems leave it be. One thing I have learned over the years is that "if a gun is ain't broke, DON'T fix it".

Karl..

But I am jealous of a fella who can test fire out the back door!!!!! : )

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input. The problem seems to actually be the magazine, probably the spring plus how the second round comes up to the top to be chambered. I believe that the mag spring is a little weak. I don't always have time to mess with it, but next time I'll try a few things to see if I can get it straight. Thanks again.