Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Back In The Saddle Again

fritz

Tomorow I pick up my old David Brown from the shop. What I thought might be a serious problem in the lower engine, since it has over 7,000 hours on it, was just the valves out of adjustment.

The clearance on both intake and exhaust is supposed to be .010 (ten thousandths). Some were over 25 , only one was correct. That would explain the slight clatter in the engine.

When I get it back, another tractor needs to go to the shop for a fuel pump and water pump. In the interim, I need to replace the jerry-rigged beer can fix on a Ford with the new parts that arrived yesterday by UPS.

It used to be the UPS guy bringing me guns almost every day, now he brings me tractor parts. Never a dull day down on the farm.

fritz

How did the JB weld hold up for you? Any better than mine did?

That stuff smells something awful when it gets hot, doesn't it?

Where did I find an honest mechanic? There is a fellow who has a nice shop about 10 miles from me, all backroads from here to there. He does car and truck work, but probably more tractor work. He is in the process (and it will be a long one, given his crowded schedule) of restoring an old 8N Ford, that is his own.

I used to have one, the same year 1952 that was the last year of the 8N. He has it in one bay, and is replacing every single part on it, besides the engine. It will be really special, and makes me kick myself that I traded mine off years ago (before they started to go up in value). Collector value, I guess. Just as in guns.

How did the J-B Weld hold up? Still not sure, the beer can and the clamps are holding back the gas. I have the new upright manifold and muffler on hand, but will see how long it lasts. Just curiousity (and frugalness) I guess.

Maybe add laziness into it also.

Us German engineers are not quite as tight as the Scots, but pretty close.

BTW, since the shop is within tractor driving distance (one hour), I decided to just drive it home. The weather forcast was for rain, but how can you be sure? I took a raincoat just in case, and it rained a flood in that hour's ride. My head and shirt stayed dry, but my ass got wet. So did the bill in my back pocket, as did the checkbook in another pocket.

To add insult to injury, when I drove into my place, the damned ground was dry! There is no justice! I squeezed the water out of my pants in order for my lawn to enjoy what I had grit my teeth for an hour to endure!

fritz