Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fritz, You Still On High Ground?

swamp_thing

All the flooding has been north of me, I live 90 miles south of San Antonio and from there through the Hill Country it has been very heavy rain. And it is supposed to stay this way for most of the week.

Down here I have been getting one shower a day on average. And only small showers, around a tenth of an inch most days. For the month just past, I got around three inches, just right. I have hay ready to cut, but it's grass hay and can wait awhile. Not like grain crops that must be harvested on time.

Jerry's post the other day about all the crops being wiped out in his area, for the second year in a row (last year from drought), made me thankful I got out of grain farming years ago.

fritz

Well, a day later, the damned rain has gone from just a shower to continous downpours. I am sitting here at the pc because the dog is barking so much I can't sleep. She gets terribly scared when it thunders and lightning strikes any where in sight. She's better than radar when it comes to weather predicting.

When the morning light comes, I will have to see just how high this ground is. It is being tested pretty good today. There are a few low places on the road to town, and mrs fritz will need to get to the office in a few hours. But her beeper has not gone off yet, so I guess there is no emergencies yet.

Jerry, I am beginning to wonder how long I can continue to say "Let it rain!" Enough is enough!

fritz

I've been rebuilding fences,standing T-post back up,pumping grey water out of my septi tank,and trying to get lawnmowers and weed-eaters running again that were under water.I got a ft. of water through my barn.Not in it,but through it.Propane bottles,trash cans,lumber I was storing,and a bunch of beer bottles I had been throwing behind my work bench so my wife would raise hell about how much I drank were all over my neighbors horse lots.My garden except for the strawberries is a total wash out.Water usually runs down the rows from south to north.A wall of water maybe a ft. deep came across from the west and washed enough debris into my tomato cages that the plants were pulled up and washed out of the garden.It sure looked strange to see my waist high plants in the wire cage and the roots sparkling clean hung up in a fence.The toilet flushed about an hour ago,and I wonder every time if it's the last.I'm seeing coastal patches turning yellow.I think it's from lack of sun as much as being too wet.After the last 5 years we've had,I've said I'd never ever say I wish it'd quit raining,but man I'm being tested.Last summer I tried to pull a couple T-post that were bent and thought the ground was so shrunken,they ought to just pick up out of the ground,but I still had to use a puller.This year the ground is so saturated,that same part of the fence fell over flat on the ground,not a bend in the post, when the field fencing caught trash and tried to dam the water.We don't need it to stop raining yet,but could improve the timing.We'll be looking at the sky praying for clouds by August.Jerry

Well, when the sky got light this morning I drove around in my high clearance truck to see what roads were still open. We had 6.5" last night, and that did not run off until about 9 this morning. The road was passable for about a mile past my place, but guys coming back from the other side told me the road was closed about a mile further down.

There is a low place (we call it the Blue Branch) where the water comes up quickly, but goes down quickly. It was passable by 9. And beyond that into town it was less rain and no flooding. This is one time I got more rain than the city boys!

The funny thing is that my newspaper carrier, who comes out of Victoria, decided to not deliver the paper today. But around 7:30 AM the Fed-X truck drives up and delivers a parcel. I asked him if he came from Victoria and if the roads were passable from there to here (they had more rain in that direction). He said the road was clear.

Now, I wonder why the newspaper never got here, since it quit raining before the Fed-X guy drove up (and the highway department never claimed the road was flooded to Victoria). Our commissioner went on tv and said no roads in Goliad county were closed. Guess he slept late.

Well, it's just a liberal rag anyway. That's where I get my best stories!

BTW, the sun came out and it didn't rain all day, but as Curly (Jack Palance) said in the movie---the day ain't over yet!

fritz

Yesterday morning,after I checked in here with you cats,I went down to my creek crossing and with pick and shovel,made it passable again.The sun came out a couple times,and I even pick what is left of my garden,but around 4 it came another gulley washer,so the mornings work on the crossing was only good for exercise.Worst thing is,the toilets won't flush again.I don't even look at the guage anymore.I sure feel for the folks in Oklahoma and Kansas.They're catching hell.fritz,6.5'' would have finished us off.That's what we got when all this started,and it hasn't dried out yet.Jerry