Military Firearm Restoration Corner

User names and how you came up with them

Horsefly

My friend told me about his opening morning deer hunt a couple years ago where at sun-up,a emu walks up and ate right out of his feeder,and scared all the deer,turkeys,and hogs off.He screws up lots of words and called it an emule,and it ate all his corn.It had to be the next day when I saw Emul8 for the first time and laughed my butt off thinking of him and wondering how she came up with that name.I know this has been done before,but it was lost,so I'd like to see it again.My Grandpa said me and my twin brother were just like horseflies,pester the crap out of you and irritate your ass.He called us little peckerwoods.For some reason I've never known,folks up on the Red River called woodpeckers,peckerwoods.The blacks in town called white people peckerwoods too.Jerry the Horsefly/peckerwood.

Mine was a no brainer. I live in close proximity to a couple of swamp areas and as far as the thing part of it, figured it best described myself. Thus, swamp thing was born so to speak. Afterwords, I realised we had a swamprat and felt that he might have thought I was infringing on his territory. Hope that is not the case, because there was nothing like that intended. I could have changed my name, but I did not want to cause further confusion or appear to be trying to have multiple sign ins. Thats my story and I sticken to it!!! swamp thing

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Suppose there's no originality here -- just always had a warm spot in my heart for the 'rifleman's rifle'. They are still my favorite though the Mauser's have sure grown on me lately likely due to the m70's decendency from them.

Being in the turkey business I sell alot of manure for fertilizer and we get calls all the time from folks looking to buy fertilizer,my daughters taught me what little I know about computers starting a couple years ago and when they set up my e-mail account they showed their pride in my proffesion by hanging manureman on me,sad to say it fits. Jim

This was discussed before the boards went down, on that fateful day when we lost all our memory data.

I am "fritz" (small f).

The reason I chose this handle is because of two things--

1) Because of my German heritage (fritz is commonly associated with Germans)

2) Because I usually work on things that are on the fritz (IE: not working properly)

As to the emu (bird)--- They were, on one day, the business of the future. The next day, they were just a pile of dung, and nobody wanted them anymore. So they turned them out to pasture, as what must have been the case of your corn-feeder marauder.

fritz

roscoedoh....

This is my number one dog Roscoe:

user posted image

The Dukes of Hazzard was my favorite afternoon show my freshman year of high school.

I put two of my favorite things together and hatched my most used online handle.

smile.gif

You know, I ain't seen hide nor feather of an emu in years.

There was a time when they were a valuable bird, for their meat, oil from their meat, and even their eggs were bringing as much as straw fees from a registered bull.

Then came the crash. There was no market for them anymore. Some people had paid 2 grand for a breeding pair. Now I may not be the brightest cowboy in Texas, but by schitt will I pay more for a damned bird than a good bull.

I guess that after all the breeders set them loose in the wild, the coyotes did the job on them. Unlike the feral pig, they do have natural enemies.

Besides who would brag about shooting a big ugly bird? Not exactly like an African trophy.

Jason,

That's an interesting way to come up with a handle. I just got a new pup today, a lab cross, and I named him Duke. Not after the boys on TV (and they were on at night in prime time in my time) but because I had a good weimaraner dog named that years ago. He just looks like a duke.

fritz

My Father, James Roe Sr, was named after his uncles James and Roe.

My father decided that he would name the first born son, and the first born daughter. So my older brother is named Vernon, and mom decided that she got to name the rest, so she named me after my dad.

So I figure if I have three sons, the third gets to carry on the cur..I mean name.

I've been using Jimro ever since setting up my first hotmail account.

Jimro

Farting Chicken was the nickname a Sioux Indian patient gave himself. Decided I'd steal it! Believe it or not I offended a woman of Amer. Indian heritage. She said it was a solemn and sacred thing. I told her it must not be to the Sioux!

"Reverend Recoil" is just a name I made up for no reason. Pretty cool, huh!

Reverend Recoil

Still in Baghdad, Iraq.

The story behind my handle completely PALES in comparison to the emu stories and speculation going on here.

Whenever I find I need a new handle I have only to hit one mark...the characters "L8" must be in the handle somewhere. This relates to my real first name and that it means the numeral eight in Latin or Greek...as in octopus, octagon, octave and so on. The characters "L8" therefore represent "Latin eight".

Some of you all know me from a couple of years back when my handle was "IdoL8r"...that got me into more trouble than you'd think. I lot of people thought that I was being sacreligious, or that I was making some comment on them via my name choice. Some people thought that I was a consummate procrastinator.... When I finally found myself visiting more than one or two of the ezboard forums, I decided that I would change my name to a global version rather than the usual local versions, and that's when I decided on Emul8. Since selecting that handle I have gone back and forth trying to decide if I really like it that much, as it's such a transitory word. Emulate what? Just emulate? Why emulate at all? But I use it anyway even though there are many other possibilities with "L8" in them....

See, horsefly, in this case, fiction is far stranger than truth!

FC, was the woman you allegedly offended suggesting that the name Farting Chicken was a solemn and sacred thing, or was she referring to the process of giving an Indian name? Because the name Farting Chicken is obviously a joke originally made up by the patient you spoke of who nicknamed himself. But naming ceremonies in Indian culture are in fact solemn and sacred occasions...even in Sioux traditions...heck, maybe even MORE in Sioux traditions...those Sioux can be radical Indians! A lot of those "Hollywood" Indian names have become a great source of entertainment for Indians in general...names like "Running Deer" and "Soaring Eagle" are usually not terribly creative or knowledgable figments of a screenwriter's own imagination. So a lot of Indians just play with the whole idea...I know that I do! Sometimes I tell people that my Indian name is "Stands in a Snit", or something similar. I do have an actual Indian name, but it's unpronouncable to most people, and it's translation is long...it's far from what Hollywood would have people believe about Indian names.

I like reading about everyone's nicknames here...it's pretty interesting to see where they came from, or what motivated someone choosing a particular name. Lots of creativity too!

Odie was my dog and best friend for several years before he passed on me a couple years ago. sad.gif Since all the other names I came up with had been taken, I decided Odies dad would work. I kept the handle in his memory. rolleyes.gif

I've been called Ringo most of my life, so I figured it was fitting to continue. I am always searching for the holy grail in accurate rifles and thought I found it in the 270 winchester, so I submitted Ringo270 and was rejected, so I changed letter case to ringo270 and was rejected, so I tried ringo338 and was accepted. I thought about ringo6.5x55 or ringo7x57, but it was bothersome to type.

"Tinkerfive"

Well I loved the movie "Short Circuit" and was using the handle 'jhoniefive' as in

the movie. At one point I thought it was time for a change that was more suited to me.

I love to be mechanically creative ( now a bubba in training ) so I thought that "Tinker"

was fitting. I tried to get a Yahoo account with "Tinker" but "Tinker" was taken.

So I tried and "Tinker1, Tinker2, and Tinker3" were all taken. So by then I thought

I'd try combining "Tinker" and "Jhoniefive" then "Tinkerfive" was born.

But I'll still sign off.....

Tinker

Dont want to hijack this thread but since Emu's have been mentioned ,thought I'd add my two cents worth on em.Couple years back when the market went to pot and folks went to turning them loose around here I went on one of what at that time was one of my almost nightly coon hunts,my dogs had treed down next to the river and I was making my way to them through some really thick brush when I came to a pretty deep and wide ditch witch the eaziest way across was a big ole dead cottenwood tree that had fallen across it so up and over I go and just as I steped down off of the tree trunk a limb knocked my light off my head causing the bulb to go out,no problem I always have extras and the moon was pretty big so I dug an extra bulb out and was walking along in the dark fumbling with replacing the bulb and walked up on one of those darn Emus dont know forsure which one of us was the most scared there for a minute but I sure had a hell of a time for just a minute figuring out what was out there in the dark with me,strung pieces of my light all over the river bottom going for my gun..lol ,laughed till I cried after figuring out what kind of bugger man was after me.Some friends of mine that coyote hunt with hounds killed a Emu one day that thier young hounds had bayed we grilled it up and it was really good tasted more like beef than fowl,if I hadnt known what it was I would have thought it was beef.I'd still liked to have been there when them boys walked up on those pups baying that thing just to have seen the looks on thier faces. Jim