Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scents That Spark Memories

ShooterTom

My Wife sprayed down all the kids with "Off" before going out this evening to play catch. It had i guess you would say a tropical sent to it. It right away brought back memories of my freewheeling bachelor days in the 80's. It made me remember the little one bedroom house I rented down an alley. Not sure why though?

Tom

My Wife sprayed down all the kids with "Off" before going out this evening to play catch. It had i guess you would say a tropical sent to it. It right away brought back memories of my freewheeling bachelor days in the 80's. It made me remember the little one bedroom house I rented down an alley. Not sure why though?

Tom

Das ist a common situation, relating to good times past. These are in the vergangenheit. You are fortunate to have der ein with gut memories. Do you have these oft? If nein, I would not worry about it. Der eins with bad memories are die worst.

Take a gut glass of schapps and go back to schlafen.

Doktor fritz

If I smell creosote, I can remember my dad lacing up his lineman's boots before going to work in the morning or walking along the pier at my grandparents' lake house. Lucky brand perfume brings back other memories but none that I'd like to discuss in polite company. ;)

Sounds and music also bring back memories. Some good, some very bad...

I'm fond of the scent of Hoppe's #9. It is one of those odors women despise but men like. I was told at a gun shop, the smell in Hoppes is added to cover the strong odor of ammonia. I also enjoy the some what obnoxios scent of bullet lube smoke when shooting cast bullets.

Scents are very evokative of memories...it's a survival thing from back when our sinuses were virtually cavernous, comparitively speaking, and we had to rely on our sense of smell more than we do now to identify foodstuffs and/or things to stay away from that even our senses of hearing, touch and sight can't interpret as well.

I am sure that there's some scientific jargon for what occurs when a scent triggers a memory, I think I recall something called "Proustian Phenomenon" (a reference to Proust's book "Rememberance of Things Past"), but I don't know if that's just a theory advanced by folks who speculate about these things, or if there's anything actually scientific to it.

I know how it works, however! I have an incredibly acute sense of smell. That's not intended as a boast because believe me, having a sharp nose is not a wonderful thing when you work in forensics, as I once did! To this day I can "smell" my way back to my childhood in Oklahoma, or to specific, very clear events in my life...some wonderful, others, not so much. Despite the memories that my sense of smell may trigger, I am thankful for the experience of it, and every time that it occurs I still marvel at the way it works.

Emul8,

That makes sense about the human race once having a much sharper sense of smell. In this generation there is so much industrial pollution (from cars, factories, etc) and since we tend to live indoors more with the foul cigarette smoke all around us----it's inevitable that we are losing our inbred sense of smell.

A few generations down the road we will probably all be wearing breathing apparatus. Not just firemen or spray painters or chemical workers, all of us.

Because the air we will be breathing will be so contaminated. I don't know about global warming, but I know about foul air.

fritz