Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Are Pack Logs?

AzRednek

I couldn't hook up to the net, called my server Cox and they told me my problem was to many pack logs. What are pack logs and how does one get rid of them?? They wanted to send out a tech but the last tech they sent was a camel jockey and the doofus grounded the cable connection to a gas pipe. I don't like strangers inside my house especially arabs.

my daughter says she thinks thery're somthing like cookies or temp files. It can jam your internet access or slow it down. Just a thought though. you could ask karlunity, he might know. Dave

pack logs

Sorry fellas. I never came across the term.

I will ask around.

I wonder..Are you running XP?

if so, have you downloaded the "SERVICE PACK 2?"

That prevents a worm which will screw your internet up .

If your computer is just "clogged" with cookies and junk try these:

Down load and run the following once a week:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

http://www.download-pro.org/Windows-CleanUp.html

They are all freeware

I run them once a day.

If you cannot down load, send me a PM with your address and I will burn a set to a disk and mail them to you next week.

karl

Pack logs....this is what I found so far:

If you have a home or office "network" of PCs interconnected via the Ethernet, there can be a "data-flow congestion called pack-backlog" that can prevent the network from going on line.

I don't see how this could apply to a home unless you have 20 or more PCs on the same network.

Karl

Thx for the help Karl. As long as I can get on the net for the time being I don't want to do anything yet. My son sets up computer networks for insurance co's can probably fix it but he is currently out of town. My son seems to think the tech I talked with over the phone doesn't know what he is talking about and most likely threw out a phraise to appear knowlegable rather than admit ignorance.

My son seems to think the tech I talked with over the phone doesn't know what he is talking about and most likely threw out a phraise to appear knowlegable rather than admit ignorance.

AzRedneck

Hello AzRedneck.

Your welcome. : )

I think that your son is right.

Take care

karl

Karl,

When I tried to run the first download (avast), I received a message that it might conflict with the Symantic that I am running. When I tried to run the RegCure download, it said there were 1429 errors and that I needed to register. I attempted to register, and it said it sent a license number to my email. I did not receive one. Also the site wanted money. How should I proceed? I have XP and it is slower that slow. Thanks, LL

Karl,

When I tried to run the first download (avast), I received a message that it might conflict with the Symantic that I am running. When I tried to run the RegCure download, it said there were 1429 errors and that I needed to register. I attempted to register, and it said it sent a license number to my email. I did not receive one. Also the site wanted money. How should I proceed? I have XP and it is slower that slow. Thanks, LL

I'm a real doofus on a computer but can tell you the spybot made a big difference on my XP's speed. Mine is still slow but no where near as pathetically slow as it was before the free program cleaned out a pile of spyware. Hopefully my son will fix it this coming Sunday. I was a bit embarrased before, after a friend sent me an email with a picture of a girl and a fish with a joke. Took my son awhile to clean it up and keep the picture from poping up randomly on my screen.