Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Burnt Wood ?

Racepres

Got a project that I thought would be "simple" but.... Anyway the stock has been burned [fire] and I have not been even close to a replacement. [old tiny 410 single shot, that I have posted about before] Since it seems to only show a burnt color [not really charring] on one side, I think that I can somehow "clean" it. Here is the problem... I have no idea where to start [let alone finish]! Is there a product to somehow bleach, or scrub the wood clean??? I tried castrol superclean and a scrub brush.... That, I'm afraid, may take about a lifetime... but it does remove some"color". What do ya'll think??? Thanks.. MV

So I take it that exposure to the heat has discolored the finish?

I think that I know someone who knows someone in fire restoration.

I'll try to ask what to do.

My guess would be that the finish is ruined.

That being the case I'd think about striping the finish (both sides) completely.

Then if the wood its' self was darkened on the one side a bit of either or both

bleach and sanding till the two sides match, then refinish.

Thanks for the reply Tinker: Yes I should have specified, the finish is "dust"! I have stripped 'er w/ good ole strip eze.. or some such! And yes you are correct the heat has "discolored" the wood itself, while that would not normally be all bad [cheap wood] only one side is affected!!! YUCK! By all means ask for me please! I don't know "wood" people! There must be a "bleaching" product... wouldn't ya think?

Thanks again.. MV

BTW Sanding is "out" on this particular project!!! Not by my spec... but the owner!

I am not sure whiting would really whiten anything. It may be good at absorbing oils, etc., but I am not sure it would really whiten a stick of burnt wood.

If you need to "bleach" it, visit your local home center and pick up some wood bleach (oxalic acid). Supposedly, this stuff is what you'd want to lighten or bleach a piece of wood. I have never used it so I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

I don't believe you can remove that color with anything short of sandpaper. You can try oxalic acid (wood bleach) that is available at any hardware store and/or clorox. If they won't get it no chemical will.

Its toasted just like a slice of bread in the toaster. If you like the color, why not "toast" the other side to match? If you don't, I'm afraid you will need to strip it and then sand to remove the coloration.

• 2 months later...
I will not mix 'em!! But, I kinda am leaning toward the "burn the other side" thing, as Sanding is verbotten!! MV

Check out a book titled Gunstock Finishing and care by A. Donald Newell. There is a section under Suigi finish about flame graining that might help you out.

Years ago after a housefire I tried repairing an odd ball hardware store double barrel's stock. I used pool chlorine after srubbing it with Comet and course steel wool. Didn't do much except damage the wood causing it to splinter away. I got my then step-daughter's boyfriend that worked in boat repair to smear a bondo like substance on the buttstock. What ever the stuff was it was guarenteed not to crack or bubble up to 3/8 inch deep. It went on clear and dried a milky white. After it dried, I belt and hand sanded the surface smooth and spray painted it. Didn't look to bad sprayed with dark brown gloss enamel. It almost looked like the plastic stocks Stevens used on some of their Sears and Wards shotguns. I never got to the handguard, the gun got left behind when I moved out.

• 2 weeks later...