Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Boyds JRS stock issue

Jimro

I picked up a laminated Boyds JRS stock for my Parker Hale 308 project, and after opening up the barrel channel I tried to fit the bottom metal to the barreled action, and the front screw doesn't align properly.

The action is a Gew 98, large ring and I've tried the bottom metal I got with it, and bottom metal from a Turk 38 just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating. The large ring fits perfectly in the stock without the bottom metal. The bottom metal is tight to get it in position, the inletting is very tight and I'm leary of opening it up. However when the I try to put the two together the front screw hole doesn't fall into place like it should, it's catching on the "lip" of the bottom metal screw hole.

So, did I get the wrong stock, did I pull a Jimro and order an M48 model stock, or is this just par for the course with Boyds stocks? Has anyone else ran into a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jimro

Well, if the standard length 98 action fits into the stock, then I wouldn't imagine that you have a M48 stock. If the screw hole is off by that much, then the recoil lug "hole" should be off as well, and your action wouldn't even go into it.

Do you have a spare Yugo action to put into it?

Screw spacing for a standard length aciton is 7 7/8" roughly, and screw spacing for a Yugo is 7 5/8".

Guest tailgunner dave

I have been fitting my share of these Boyds stocks lately.. and I have run into this problem. I have solved the problem one of two ways...

With a recently purchased thumbhole varminter.... I used a dremel tool, with a small sanding drum.. to extend the floorplate inletting forward just a bit, so that it fit a tad looser.. from a non fitting situation. With enough of this extending of the floorplate inletting, and it was only shaving off about 3-4 mm it all went together nicely.

On another, I opened up the diameter of the front screw hole, and got it to fit.. I took up the slack with fiberglass bedding.

Yea these stocks are not perfect, but they do look good, and work well once all is installed.. and the price is fair...

So, there ya go.

TGD

Well, if the standard length 98 action fits into the stock, then I wouldn't imagine that you have a M48 stock.  If the screw hole is off by that much, then the recoil lug "hole" should be off as well, and your action wouldn't even go into it.

Do you have a spare Yugo action to put into it? 

Screw spacing for a standard length aciton is 7 7/8" roughly, and screw spacing for a Yugo is 7 5/8".

2364[/snapback]

I got a Boyd's stock a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. I had to relieve some of the wood around the recoil lug and redrill the rear screw to get proper alignment. I then had to relieve some of the inletting for the receiver to get the tang to position correctly in the stock. Even though I had a military action in a military stock I had to relieve the stock to get the front of the bottom metal to fit. Some stocks fit well after 10 minutes of adjustment, this one took an hour. Their sample military mausers differ from my real world mausers. I must note the stock is a second which I got for under $30, maybe you get what you pay for!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ringo338/4848004.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ringo338/4848001.jpg

Jimro,

The problem you describe is shared by most semi inlets. While they are cheap & convenient they rarely have good inletting. Normally, when making a stock from a blank, you inlet the triggerguard first, then the action.

You will just have to jigger it a bit. Get some inletting black and have at it. Forget the damn dremel. Use a small chisel or scraper. Go slow and you will get a nice tight wood to metal fit. Use a dremel and you'll have an approxiamtion of the grand canyon in wood.

With the Boyds fitting issue on the Mausers, I just chalk it up to the variety of Mausers out there.. They may look the same in many respects but I guess there are differences from type to type..

Here's an example, I am sure you fellas have some war stories on this....

I just got a couple of BSquare weaver rail bases.. Which fit well, the holes line up nice with the standard redfield pattern..... One of them, did not fit on a Yugo k98, the rear mount was way to high.... The other fit great on a Turk Receiver, like a glove..

So, I'll be darned if I can spot the differences, but they're out there, and I guess you have to be ready to do some dremeling or filing here n there.. Whether it is inletting a stock a few mms, or or shaving a little metal.. Just part of the allure of custom Mausering I guess wink.gif

Jimro,

The Fajen stocks were indeed nice ones. Much nicer I think than Richards, GAG, or Boyds.

Still, I got the bottom metal pretty cockeyed on my first one. Stock makers screws & inletting screws are a must. I suspect that with just a bit of inletting black you can correct yours with minimal effort.

Post pics when you're done/

-mike

Guest Guest_sonic1_*

your right ,,,inletting screws make a big differance ..it make you inlet both barrel and bottom metal at the same time..

and boyds inletting is not the best i've seen

and boyds inletting is not the best i've seen

2455[/snapback]

I'ts also not the worst. The sole example I've seen was far better than the half dozen or so Richards that I've used. Could still use some improvement but then again what couldn't. Considering the cost of teh JRS vs Richards, I feel the Boyds is a better value. Of course, you had better like the two stocks they have to choose from, lol.