Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Chupacabra

fritz

Others have the Yeti, the Sasquatch, and the Loch Ness Monster--we have the chapucabra.

Yes, it is supposed to be a mythical creature, created in Hispanic culture (thus the name is derived from spanish for "goat sucker") as it sucks the blood from its victims. There have been several sightings, and one dead carcass run over by a car, but nobody can identify it.

I wish the photo in the paper would have uploaded to my PhotoBucket album, but it must be copyrighted or something. Let me just say this--it is a scary looking thing. Here's a story in today's paper---

Cuero creature continues to draw speculation

Interest in the hideous beast comes from near and far away

July 28, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.

BY SONNY LONG - VICTORIA ADVOCATE

CUERO - The hairless carcass of an unidentified creature discovered in DeWitt County prompted a flurry of telephone calls and e-mails from others who have had similar sightings or had farm animals attacked.

Some speculate the animal is the mythical Chupacabra - a creature of Mexican lore that drains the blood of livestock. Others think it is a mange-ravaged coyote or dog.

Phylis Canion found the body of the beast on her property and took a sample on Tuesday to the biology department at Texas State University for DNA testing. A television crew from San Antonio filmed her.

"I can't tell you how many phone calls I have had from people since the story came out who have seen the same thing," Canion said.

"A lot of them were near here, too."

Interest in the mystery animal came from close to home and from as far away as New York.

Roxy Steen, of Victoria, was driving in rural DeWitt County about 11:30 p.m. last Saturday when she saw eyes shining on the side of the road ahead of her.

The animal was gray with short front legs and had small horns near the ears.

"It didn't run away like most of animals do. It stood there and stared as I got closer," Steen said.

It was knee-high and looked like a goat, monkey and cat all mixed together, she said.

"I was scared. As soon as I got a signal on my cell phone, I called my mother. I was upset and crying."

Other sightings were reported in the DeWitt County area off U.S. Highway 183, not far from Canion's property.

"I killed an animal exactly like this two years ago in Gonzales while deer hunting," Jodie Koonce of Yoakum wrote in an e-mail.

"The only hair was a very thin strip on the top of his head like a spike haircut. The skin was gray and wrinkled just like the one in your story.

"It is truly an ugly creature that caused me many uneasy moments walking to my deer stand in the dark."

Others told stories of farm animals attacked.

Mario Martinez of Victoria said that two years ago something was attacking chickens at his parent's place in Fannin. Day after day, lifeless chickens were found. Not a feather was ruffled, but they were totally drained of blood.

Israel Vasquez, who lives on Upper Mission Valley Road in Victoria County, tells a similar tale.

"I bought a goat, and it didn't even make it through the night," he said.

"The next morning there was a hole in his skull and his brain had been picked out. There was no blood left in his body. There wasn't a sign of a struggle or anything."

Another e-mail came from New York, complete with a photograph of a possible match to the mystery animal.

"I think what you have there is a South American maned wolf, possibly with mange. With the destruction of areas of their natural habitat, many animals from the region are moving farther north," wrote John Culligan of Hamden, N.Y.

The South American maned wolf is also known as a red fox on stilts, according to the Web site wildones.org. But that theory was refuted by wildlife expert Jan Bussey , web editor for Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose.

Dr. Robin Falkov, of New Mexico, thinks that rigor mortis, decay and a possible hypothyroid condition account for the gray creature's horrifying grimace.

But one e-mail related a darker and more sinister theory. It is a Frankenstein-like science experiment gone wrong, speculates Thomas Metcalf of New Mexico.

"This is not the first time a story like this has surfaced in Texas regarding this kind of freak of nature."

fritz

:ph34r: hi fritz, heard about your blood sucker. They had a story awhile back on tv about it. you're right, it is an ugly cuss. got an uncle that looked similar but couldn't stand the bood. haha. have they gotten anymore proof yet? Dave

"have they gotten anymore proof yet? Dave "

Not that I've heard. They sent some remains to A&M and the National Geographic Society. That one sighting a few years ago near Fannin is only 5 miles from here. Cuero is 25 miles north of me.

What I would like to see someone do is send in the remains of one of the victims, and determine how it died. Without seeing the actual kill, I could speculate that it is the work of a Great Horned owl. We lost a lot of chickens to one of those many years ago. I finally put a chicken in a live trap and caught the owl.

Maybe someone can do the same with the Chupacabra.

fritz

Skunks kill chickens by sucking blood from their necks and head without messing up the rest of the bird.My cousin,great grandmother and aunt saw a booger that sounds like a chupacabra about 35 years ago north of Muenster Tex. on the Red River.My grandmother saw it first,called across the road to my aunts house and told her there's a strange looking deer or coyote in her garden.My aunt and cousin ran over and looked at it,but it got nervous and took off.My cousin ran and got a .410 but never got close enough to get a shot.Some men moving a drilling rig saw it the next day.No telling what it was.That same cousin caught a snow white coon soon after that,so things were pretty exciting right about then.Jerry

The photo in the paper (that I could not get to load) showed a black, hairless carcass but was still intact. No zopilotes had eaten on it before it was found on the road.

Now, I can see how a dog or other haired animal could decay to the point of losing the hair in a few days in the Texas heat, but the zopilotes would find it before that happened. Those buzzards are pretty sharp. They are on the scent within minutes of a kill. Something about a smell coming from the colon of the deceased.

So it must have been a hairless creature before it died. The latest wacky theory is that it was a cross between a Mexican Hairless and a Greyhound!

Who am I to dispute that? But it could be a Chupacabra!

fritz