Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ebay's New Gun Parts Restrictions

911rat

Wondered if anyone else had seen this yet?

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707.shtml#2007-07-30094109

***Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts***

July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT

Matt Halprin

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin

Vice President, Trust & Safety

I saw a forum about it on mauser central last night. I only used ebay 1 time to buy a barrel. Guess I won't be lookin' anymore now. Dave

"After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do."

WTF? give me a break! these morons - ugh! that torques me off so much i can't think straight! better not allow the sale of any hammers, sporks or auto parts, either... wouldn't want them used in the commission of a crime! while their at it, probably shouldn't sell any magazines or old newspapers, either. no one knows how many dogs have been abused with a rolled up newspaper! F#@k them!

i'm off to see if i can void my account!

heath

Got this in an email from J&G:

Also, for years gun enthusiasts have bought and sold gun parts on eBay,

J&G included. However eBay has announced that starting mid-August they

will no longer allow gun parts to be sold through their website. We

encourage you to contact Matt Halpin of eBay who is responsible for this

decision at mhalprin@eBay.com. Please be respectful and considerate in

your messages. Ask them to review this decision since it goes far

beyond any state or federal laws.

I tried to be respectfull but finally had to tell him what kind of an arsehole he really is.

Bahh...piss on the whole lot of 'em.

eBay lost my business a long time ago when Paypal started freezing accounts from firearms related transactions because some squeaker didn't get a refund fast enough and complained to Paypal. Paypal is owned by eBay and hasn't been friendly to firearms enthusiasts for a while now. They won't do business with me so I won't do business with them. And what's more gentlemen, eBay has become a seller's market. I know that many of you have won some pretty fair deals on gun stuff; a great many more of us ended up paying too much. So if eBay has finally found an excuse to exclude themselves from doing business with us - fine! Piss on 'em! I'll take my money elsewhere!

There was a post a week or so ago about some guns being sold on an auction site, that used a very interesting way of describing them---completely leaving out the word "gun".

I wonder if someone will try this on eBay. Anyway, I have found that in the last year or so gun items (especially Mauser) have been going for such ridiculous high prices, that I don't bother to eBay anymore.

I guess that eBay will continue to rake it in on shoes, shirts, and other schitt. But not from me.

fritz

my email to this jerkoff...

"Mr. Halprin,

I recently came across a statement by you regarding the sale of gun parts on Ebay, such as gun barrels, triggers and such.

"Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin

Vice President, Trust & Safety "

I find this statement a pathetic knee-jerk response from a traditionally anti-gun organization that I am not completely surprised by, although I am disappointed. To use a tragedy such as the Virginia Tech shootings as a reason to stop selling inanimate objects such as gun barrels is one of the more cowardly things I've seen. If you are worried about products sold on Ebay being used in the commission of a crime, might I suggest some other items to put a halt on selling: Forks, hammers, screw drivers, auto parts, zippo lighters (don't want anyone starting an arson career via Ebay!), old magazines (don't want someone rolling up a magazine and beating their dog!), etc.

Though my opinions surely don't matter to you, I will no longer do business with Ebay. I hope there will be enough people that feel the same as me that you might feel even the tiniest ripple in your profits.

Sincerely,

Heath Harmon"

i got a response...

Hello Heath,

Thank you for your recent email to Matt Halprin in regard to changes to

our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. He has asked that I review your

email and respond on his behalf.

At eBay we take the safety of our community and our marketplace very

seriously. We have a Trust and Safety team which consists of more than

2,000 experts in online security and safety who are located around the

globe. This team is dedicated to ensuring that our marketplace is a safe

and trusted place for buyers and sellers to engage in trade.

We value an open and transparent marketplace; if items are legal to buy

and sell in an unrestricted manner we allow them on our site. However,

there are some items that while legal, may not be safe for our

marketplace. In these instances, our applicable policies go beyond the

law to ensure that our marketplace is safe.

Currently we do not allow actual firearms on the site. After careful

consideration our executives and our Trust and Safety team determined

that any item required to fire a gun has no place on eBay. All of our

policies are under constant review. As the Internet and the way our

communities use the Internet evolves, our policies and our marketplace

must evolve with it. We determined that this policy change was in the

best interest of promoting a safe marketplace for all members.

Regards,

Kristine

Office of the President

eBay, Inc.

doesnt seem to say much...

I got the same reply. Screw eBay.

Yeah, the fun is starting up again. The dems backed off briefly to get elected because they knew it would knock them out (again). I did see that OsammaObamma gave a talk a couple weeks ago about the need to ban "assault weapons" to "stop the violence." Same old crap. Stock up now, guys, 'cuz in about 1.5 years, we will be back to the Klintonistas again. The way the republicans are looking, we would probably be worse off with one of their "front runners." Remember George the First's assault weapon ban by presidential decree is still in place, but Uncle Bill's ban is gone. So there is a Masshole and a gun grabber. Oh yeah, we have a good choice there. One of the things W has done is leave us alone. We won't have that luxury after January of '09, either way.

Dr.Hess

We won't have that luxury after January of '09, either way.
True Dr. Hess

Still we can take control of the Congress by letting who ever we vote for know that OUR measure is their strand on Firearms rights. If we can unite again and do that, the future will be a lot brighter.

Karl

Yes, that will help. I'll tell you something else that helped us out these past years:

When George the First forced his so-called assault weapon ban on us, it cost him his re-election. When Uncle Bill pushed his ban through Congress, it cost him a Dem controlled Congress. The powers that be did not let this go unnoticed. That is why W has not pushed for more "control" and why the Dems backed off. Sure, we got stuck with Uncle Bill (and the Lizard Queen) after we didn't re-elect George the First, but I think in the long run we are better off because we showed the Republicans (for what they're worth) that we will not be shiite on and still vote for them. They had better do more than lip service to us to get our vote. Claiming to have hunted rabbits in Utah or "supporting the 2nd" today does not do it when one looks at their actual deeds over the past 10+ years. I really think we would be worse off with them, because they could pass another AW ban on us and the Republicans in Congress would go right along with it, being in the same party and all. Whereas if the Lizard Queen is power, then the Republicans would be obligated to oppose it.

When the LQ gets elected, I'm going to join GoA. Right now, I limit myself to the NRA.

When the LQ gets elected, I'm going to join GoA. Right now, I limit myself to the NRA.

Why not belong to both, I do?? I'm in the process of paying off a lifetime membership in the NRA and currently an annual member of the GOA. When the NRA is paid off I'll begin the payment plan for a life membership of the GOA. The GOA with their no compromise attitude is closer to my own feelings.

I agree with the GoA's philosophy also, and I meant to join the GoA in addition to the NRA after the LQ gets elected (70% chance). It's just that there are many (well, a few anyway) good places for my money, but my money is limited.

You guys remember back when she was whatever-she-was? There was a company trying to import SKS's or Mausers or something along those lines. They applied for all the paperwork, everything was OK, not any evil AW or something that might, goddless-forbid, take 11 bullets in the magazine. The word came down to the ATF that Hillary said there were enough guns in America. That was it, importation denied. Hillary said no and no beauracrat would dare go up against her. And she was just first-(?)-lady at the time. When she is in office, we're all screwed like Uncle Bill's intern. And the Republicans are doing nothing but setting us up for it, just like in '96 for Uncle Bill's re-election when they ran that total loser up against him. I still remember him saying that Hollywood needed to make more wholesome family movies like _Braveheart._

I sent an e-mail to e-bay and got much the same answer as posted above with a different name on it.

I responded asking them to define "a safer marketplace" and how their decision will make a "virtual" marketplace safer.

I can't wait for that response. I'm sure that they will really clear that on up for me.

I'm not familiar with all the national 2nd amendment org's but would like to join something to help make a point.

I'm a little sour on the NRA. What other orgs out there have Strong honest representation?

lc

Well now, I guess we can sue chevron, shell etc for selling gas to the gangs so they can do drive by's huh!Most the stuff for firearms on ebay I've seen was dfinitely over priced. Never knew there was another choice.Who else can I turn to. Dave :(

Thanks AZ

I'm looking them over!

lc

I'm sour on the NRA and have been so for many years, especially since they joined with Bill Ruger on the mag ban. However I don't believe dropping one's membership is a good idea. First and formost is the strength in numbers the NRA has. Politicians do listen to NRA's leadership based on the large membership the NRA has. I can't recall the numbers but a high percentage of NRA'a membership do vote and politicians listen. Another big plus is NRA's American Rifleman magazine, best in my opinion of all the gun rags.

The NRA does an excellent job on the local level here in Arizona around election time, making myself and other members know whom is actually supporting us.

The NRA endorsed Rick Perry for reelection as Texas governor!

I don't think any more has to be said about the NRA, after that piece of schitt.

The Texans that bought the NRA endorsement (and went to the polls like sheep) deserve what they got----Rick Perry!

And I resent a local FFL adding the extra money donation to the NRA, and then charging me for it. I dropped my longtime membership after getting finally educated about what they really are----just another political lobby.

And they don't even send autographed photos of Wayne LaPierre like Bush does of himself! All for money of course, but no more money for either of them from fritz.

fritz